seafoam/emmisions and other ?'s...UPDATED!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ghandi1492

seafoam/emmisions and other ?'s...UPDATED!!!

Post by ghandi1492 »

Backgroud: Have 5 days to do my emmisions on my ze. Last year I only failed my NOx both tests(will look for the test to get the #'s). That was with bad plugs/plug wires, no cooling fan, bad vcgs, no oil change(last changed it 2 months before) probably bad air filter and only 15 min hwy driving before test. (I had the ze installed in '02 and since then have only put about 20k miles on it with the only problems being busted coolant hoses. Around the same time i changed my exhast: muffler, pipe, hiflow cat). I didnt go back to get the re-test b/c my car was registered in a non-emmisions county and i didnt want to worry about getting the NOx down, so i drove to a non-em. county and just got the safety test. I can still do that this year because I am still registered in a non-em county but that all changes tomorrow when i have to registar in the county i just moved to. I just figure the hell with it, i want to fix whatever is wrong with my car that is giving me high NOx levels.

Now high NOx temps are due to high comb. temps ,running lean, and/or bad cat correct? When i tested last year it was dec '04 and really cold so i dont think that my cat got up to operating temp, but im gonna save changing the cat last if i fail again. Next is the high combustion temps and/or running lean. I just changed my spark plugs from the motorcraft's for the probe gt to the bkr6e11's gapped at .044". Will a colder range plug help with the hot combustion temps? Also my cooling fan wasnt working. I just ordered the relay b/c i hardwired the fan and it worked so im thinking my relay was bad. How much of a difference does having a working fan affect NOx levels while being tested?

I noticed when i took off my intake to replace the vcgs, that the valves had alot of carbon buildup on them. So on sunday, I ran some 1/2 a can seafoam deep creep through my intake and it smoked ALOT. I have driven about 75 miles since. By the time i take my test, between now and 5 days, will the seafoam still be working and make me fail?

Withing the last 3 weeks, I have replaced my VCGs, rear o2 sensor, spark plugs/wires, air filter, and PCV valve. This weekend i ran some "guarenteed to pass" stuff in a full tank and I am almost on empty right now. I plan on getting an oil change and getting my cooling fan to work by the time i get tested. I havent set my tps (b/c fan does not work), but i dont have any irregular idle issues. I bought a gallon of coleman's camp fuel but i also want to save this as a last resort b/c I want to see if i can pass without it first. Is there anything else that i can do to make sure that i pass the NOx short of replacing the cat and hooking up my egr?

Sorry for the long post, but any input would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

AJ
Last edited by ghandi1492 on March 7th, 2006, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 SE-ZE 9lb findaza,CMIII,KL36,hi-flow cat, 2.5" exhaust piping....stolen sound system...broken center dash....and a big ol dent in the driver door where my wife backed up into it...but i still get 26+ mpg......
neonkai

Post by neonkai »

slip the guy a 5 ^_^
3 days left
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

a 5? pfft... i had to shell out 200 dollars (including test itself) to have my ZE pass in california :rant2:
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
max kl

Post by max kl »

the egr system and catalytic converter control the nox emissions
the cat accounts for a 1000 ppms or less
the egr accounts for 2000 ppms
most engine put out 3000 ppms with out any emmissons control devices

the cat also helps hc and co emmissions
cat lowers hc 200 ppm and co 2-4%

so if your co after cat is .1% or higher you are not running lean

you must have healthy o2 sensors to help cat control all 3 gasses

you probably need a cat and a propper size egr system
the k8 system is to small for a kl

i dont no anything about the j spec egr system so i hope a kl system will flow enuph exhaust to control your nox
also the egr needs a little exhaust back pressure
so if you get a egr system instaled and working you may have to restrict your exhaust to flow enuph exhaust through the egr valve to control the nox emmissons

o this is what i do for a living i spend most days repairing electrical and emmissions probs
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
ghandi1492

Post by ghandi1492 »

max kl wrote:the egr system and catalytic converter control the nox emissions
the cat accounts for a 1000 ppms or less
the egr accounts for 2000 ppms
most engine put out 3000 ppms with out any emmissons control devices

the cat also helps hc and co emmissions
cat lowers hc 200 ppm and co 2-4%

so if your co after cat is .1% or higher you are not running lean

you must have healthy o2 sensors to help cat control all 3 gasses

you probably need a cat and a propper size egr system
the k8 system is to small for a kl

i dont no anything about the j spec egr system so i hope a kl system will flow enuph exhaust to control your nox
also the egr needs a little exhaust back pressure
so if you get a egr system instaled and working you may have to restrict your exhaust to flow enuph exhaust through the egr valve to control the nox emmissons

o this is what i do for a living i spend most days repairing electrical and emmissions probs
hey i live in burleson....just moved here from arlington a yr ago...im gonna go look for my test to see how i scored.....

AJ
'93 MX-3 SE-ZE 9lb findaza,CMIII,KL36,hi-flow cat, 2.5" exhaust piping....stolen sound system...broken center dash....and a big ol dent in the driver door where my wife backed up into it...but i still get 26+ mpg......
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Geezum, other than the Seafoam you are doing alot of hocus pokus to pass emisions.
Get new plug wires, a disty cap and rotor, replace the front O2 if it needs it and use high test gasoline. Run the car up to operating temp and then some to make sure the cat is good a hot (maybe 30 minute drive before test). You should pass just fine with a hard wired fan, but need it running so the motor doesn't overheat. You shouldn't need the relay jsut yet, but I would suggest getting one so that your fan can take a rest from time to time.
High flow cats can cause problems since they let the gasses pass through more quickly and thus don't burn off as much of the unburnt gas. So make sure you get the perscribed 30 minute drive before the test to make sure it is hot enough to burn the gasses quickly.

Do not do coleman fuel or any of that witch doctor crap. I pass just fine every year with a well tuned well maintained ZE and no EGR.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ghandi1492

Post by ghandi1492 »

Thanks PAT....The relay will be coming in on friday. I plan to take my test on saturday. The only thing i havent replaced is the ditsy cap and rotor. I will replace those too before i take my test.

AJ
max kl

Post by max kl »

[. I pass just fine every year with a well tuned well maintained ZE and no EGR.[/quote]

do you have to pass a dyno test or two speed idle test?
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
ghandi1492

Post by ghandi1492 »

here is my emmissions test results from last year (Dec '04)

ASM 25mph (tested at 2197 rpms)

Test / KLZE Reading / K8 Limits

HC ppm / 126 / 141 PASS
CO % / 0.73 / 0.79 PASS
NO ppm / 2348 / 1026 FAIL
CO2 % / 14.1 / --
O2 % / 0.7 / --
DILUTION % / 14.8 / >6

ASM 15mph (tested at 1796 rpms)

Test / KLZE Reading / K8 Limits

HC ppm / 143 / 146 PASS
CO % / 0.73 / 0.82 PASS
NO ppm / 2345 / 1134 FAIL
CO2 % / 14.1 / --
O2 % / 0.8 / --
DILUTION % / 14.8 / >6

Thats what my numbers were from the last test.
ghandi1492

Post by ghandi1492 »

max kl wrote:[. I pass just fine every year with a well tuned well maintained ZE and no EGR.
do you have to pass a dyno test or two speed idle test?[/quote]

have to pass a dyno test..

AJ
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Dyno test here too.
I've never heard of a two speed idle test for emisions???
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ghandi1492

Post by ghandi1492 »

PATDIESEL wrote:Dyno test here too.
I've never heard of a two speed idle test for emisions???
yea i read a post from a while back that had to do the 2 speed idle test b/c their car was lowered too much...i think they also do the 2 speed idle test for awd cars as most inspection places arent setup for them.....

i think i am going to replaced the ditsy cap and rotor and get an oil change and see how i do first before i try anything else. Im gonna drive the car at least for an hour to get the cat nice and hot. Then see what numbers i get.

I just noticed last night that i have an oil leak right under the oil filter. maybe a quarters worth after sitting all night....i havent got the chance to look under there, but what are some places in that area that leak?

AJ
max kl

Post by max kl »

I just noticed last night that i have an oil leak right under the oil filter. maybe a quarters worth after sitting all night....i havent got the chance to look under there, but what are some places in that area that leak?

nothen directlly under oil filter but above it is the oil sender and oil cooler gasket are comon leaks
but they only leak when engine is running
check the drain plug it will leak constantly
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
ghandi1492

Post by ghandi1492 »

:(
colemans didnt work for me

well i replaced my distributor cap/rotor and added some seafoam to the oil and also gas tank. Drove around for 1 hr (70 miles) to get the cat nice and hot. then i added the colemans camp fuel (1/4 -1/2 tank left) got an oil change then had my car inspected....

passed CO, failed HC (barely, the seafoam was still decarbing the engine and it added to the reading), failed NOx alot........

the only thing i havent done is replace my cat.....i have a highflow cat with probably 20k miles on it. last year all i failed was the NOx and that the only thing i havent replaced.

HOw the heck do you guys with ZEs w/no egr pass the NOx????????

:cry:
max kl

Post by max kl »

you could set up somethen like run the vac line that goes to the egr or evap purge valve to a resivore of water or washer fluid to pass nox using the ecm controled solinoids would stop flow at idle and the water would simulate an egr effect reducing combustion chamber temps drasticly

you would need some kind of oriface or flow control valve[like 1 from an aquarium] to regulate the flow

squirt enuph in the vac line to make engine run a little rough the back it off a little

i have had to work very hard to get cars to pass with high flow cats
a stock replacment cat may be enuph to get u by or 2 cats
Last edited by max kl on March 15th, 2006, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”