the guy with the problem with the cone intake filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wepeo

Post by wepeo »

I promise as soon as i figure out the problem, I'll be posting just in case anyone is hanging or has the same problem. This site is going to open up lots of new doors for me. hell, I'm thinking of getting a second job to fund doing the stuff to my car like what you guys are doing. Im tired of getting owned by my friend with a vw vr6 gti.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

wepeo wrote: Im tired of getting owned by my friend with a vw vr6 gti.
Lot's of $$$$ needed to reverse the roles there - that's a strong motor and well geared.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

my cars the same way i keep getting a code for an o2 sensor but ive replaced it and its only at random times lol who knows my batt is used and sux and i need new ground wires. maybe its a power issue for u as well
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
wepeo

Post by wepeo »

does the car give codes even when the engine light doesnt ever flash except when the key is turned on for a few secs?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I don't think I understood the question correctly. The grammar is killing me ...LOL. Code retrieval info is contained in the online shop manual. This process ia available to those with OBD I configured MX's. Alternate method for retrieval is necessary I believe for the OBD II.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
max kl

Post by max kl »

yes and no the ecm will store fault codes that only hapen when engine is running [intermintant ]and only turn cel on when the ecm sees problem happing at that moment. example cel comes on after you drive car 5 min then goes may stay on for the rest of the drive or go off and ecm will store history code.

cel stays on all the time only if the fault in the system hapens all the time from key on to engine running or driving car.
cel staying on all the time should indicate fault is a hard problem like sumthing un plugged or wiring or dead/shorted sensor

most 94 and up cars will store a code without turning on cel

i looked thro alldata at my shop and could find no codes on 93 and older that set without turning cel on but it is still a good idea to check for codes regullarly like with at tune up or sumthn

this may raise a few hairs but 94 and up cars all have obd2 systems ford and mazda where ready for obd2 in 93

i wish 94 and up cars all had obd2 connectors so i could see live scann data but thats off subject.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
wepeo

Post by wepeo »

got another question that has prolly been answered in these forums but I couldn't find it. Has anyone had there stock mx-3 (k8 i think) block taken to a machine shop (or done it them selves) and bored the cylinders out? If so, what to? Any hp gain out of it? etc...
wepeo

Post by wepeo »

heres another one i couldnt find. Anyone have the problem that if you take the oil fill cap off while the car is ruinning, the car dies?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

wepeo wrote:got another question that has prolly been answered in these forums but I couldn't find it. Has anyone had there stock mx-3 (k8 i think) block taken to a machine shop (or done it them selves) and bored the cylinders out? If so, what to? Any hp gain out of it? etc...
It has been answered to a certain degree bu this would fall into the parameters of basic self-deduction. By means of going to a reputable automotive machine shop and pose the question - "How much to overbore by x amount for engine y ?" Now if it were in the future plans to go to a 2.5L size, what would it cost to source a KLDE engine. Right at that point it will become obviously clear if the price tag for the boring didn't put you into cardiac arrest. This analogy would also apply to future ZE aspirations. In other words, and I know this has been re-iterated numerous times, source the targeted type of engine able to give the desired HP straight off rather than trying to create it from scratch. Unless you have deep pockets, the only time you may want to consider machining would be for possible flowing of the heads, P & P, regrinding valve angles, but that would be the reasonable limit before it gets to a full blown tear down / rebuild of a K8. There's just so many KLDE's out there for a reasonable price and a ZE would still be a better choice rather than doing K8 internal work. I haven't even touched on the need to improve the cams, IM, TB, heads, etc. The $$ for HP best bet is to go with a DE or ZE.
wepeo wrote:heres another one i couldnt find. Anyone have the problem that if you take the oil fill cap off while the car is ruinning, the car dies?
A normal cause and effect that relates to the sensing of a loss of vaccum / pressure with the VC's. No worries - normal occurance and it has been addressed in previous threads. Why would one want to do that and have the oil sprayed out of the VC anyway?
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Did you try pulling codes or anyhting?
Or has the problem been solved?
Hope you got it worked out.
I've been so unsatisfied with my car since I joined mx3.com.
Seeing all the body kits, rims and engine swaps makes me want to spend all my student loans on my car.
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

bosch platinum plugs are junk....they caused me so much hassle....my car would hesitate when i'd put it at wot....i put new plug wires on them and everything....it wasn't till i got some ngk plugs that it stopped
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
cb2big4u

Post by cb2big4u »

Last edited by cb2big4u on November 7th, 2010, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wepeo

Post by wepeo »

I found the problem. The stupidest of things to overlook. plug wires were faulty. I bought another set. Apparently while I was tring to install the cone filter, I first took the box out and didn't plug the maf back in (yet another stupid mistake) and i thought that I did something wrong with intalling the plugs. But the noticed that I forgotten that and corrected it. Then i thought i had fixed it. Then, as the car got to operating temp the next morning, it started skipping intermitantly. Thats when had suspected the filter. I started doing searches on the internet and found a few different sites. This being one of them. Then started this thread. It helped me figure out that I'm an idiot. But that cool. I had some car experience in attempting to restore a 73 dodge dart swinger. It had a factory choked out 318. didnt work out. So 2 yrs ago I found this mx-3 and bought it cuz I was amazed at the 1.8 v6. Now its my new project car/daily driver. So basically the problem with the car was my brain fart. But anyway, that was it. Thanks 4 your guys help. I'll be posting more as I get into different things onto my car.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

DUDE CHECK THIS TRY ANOTHER CONE A BIGGER ONE I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THAT BECAUSE IT WAS PUSHING ON THE FLOW SENSOR ..........TRY IT...........TRY TO RUN IT WITH OUT A FILTER IF IT STILL IDLES WRONG THE I DONT KNOW BUT IF IT IDLES GOOD THEN THE FILTER IS TOO SMALL
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Um......am I missing something here? I thought the problem was already fixed. lol

Glad you found your problem, sometimes we always look to deep into a problem and forget the simple stuff.

ANd welcome to the MX3 family.
I've been so unsatisfied with my car since I joined mx3.com.
Seeing all the body kits, rims and engine swaps makes me want to spend all my student loans on my car.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”