D323 - 92 MX-3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
D323

D323 - 92 MX-3 GS

Post by D323 »

Orginally I was going to GTX my 323, but I found a teal GS on eBay for a starting bid of 100 bux. Seeing that it was 2 hours away from me I just had to bid. 400 dollars more later I was the owner of a 92 GS with a 200,000 mile k8 that refused to turn over.

I had a good GTX motor, and a good shell, what else was I supposed to do. She came with the Evo3 kit, but sadly the front was cracked pretty bad when we loaded her on the trailer. I will probably go with a Mazdaspeed front or a PosterT eventually.

MX-3 Rear shot in its new car hole.

From there I began deconstruction of the k8, removing all the accessories and selling all of the little parts that I could to recoup costs of the vehicle.

Finally I junked the tranny and motor (both were blown and not salvageable
and began on a plan to get the GTX swapped in there.

I did the necessary research and planning, and decided that with the junkyards that I had at my disposal, I could complete the swap.

I decided to go with an RX-7 FMIC, and mount it on the rad support up front side by side with a half sized civic radaitor. Its a tight fit, but it should make for an interesting hidden setup. The AC has been removed, but the condensor will probably remain to keep the FMIC hidden, as well as AC will probably get an R134a conversion this spring.

Over the months plans have changed and setups evolved. Currently the car still sits, but as a GS with a BPT bolted in there. I sold the GTX turbo for a miata manifold and a T3 so I could really psuh it up there. The car orginally was going to be just a daily driver that had a small amount of boost to get her moving, but as I said plans changed. I'll list her curent mods:

Engine/Performance:
- GTX motor with SS miata manifold flipped
- T3 turbo
- 9lb Fidanza flywheel
- Spec stage 2 Organic clutch
- full SS 2.5 exhaust and IC piping
- FC3S 3.25in thick bar & plate FMIC (hidden in front)
- half sized Racing Civic radiator (2in thick)
- 1.3 Bar Rad cap

Interior/Exterior:
Not too many mods here, as GO comes before SHOW.
- Power windows/door locks installed
- Converted to 95 model passive restraints
- gutted from rear seat backward (will eventually gut from front seats backward)

Suspension/Brakes:
- Brembo blank rotors all around
- SS lines in front and rear (clutch line too)
- 15in lightweight 2000 Miata rims with Hancook 195/55/15's
- ZX2 sturts with Sprint 2in drop springs
- Mazdaspeed top strut tower bars ( front and rear )

As she sits now, I still need to do the following:

- Get the MSnS in to connect it up
- Finish welding the Miata manifold and brace it properly
- weld up custom 2.5in SS downpipe
- weld up exhaust (need to just cut and weld)
- Few MISC things like rad fluid, Alt. belt, etc.
- Bleed the braking system thoroughly

I am sure that there is more that I will find I need to do as, well as more that I will upgrade. As for now, I am pretty much waiting on parts (and the cash to pay for them ;) ) so I can complete the car. It has come along way, and everyday I love the way my EC looks vs. my BG. Dont get me wrong, by BG was my first car, and will always be in my heart, but the EC is growing on me.

Any sugestions/comments are always welcome. As some of you may know I am the resident wh0re off of clubprotege.com and I have a longer, slightly more detailed version of my process as this was written in a few hours, and my thread has been going on for almost a year.

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16416
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

ever consider a trade a 88 real GTX for ur GS MX-3 bodys only just a thought i bought a 88 gtx with no engine have the gtr trans but its a big fix me up to what i once was body in good shape just i love the MX-3 more than the 323 its grown on me but i gave up my bp mx-3 for a 88 MX-6 GT which i than gave to my bro. just a thought intersted.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

wow where did you get those mazdaspeed tower bars...how long did it take yo uto install your steel clutch and brake lines?

great buy on the GS.

~Jay
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

Nice!

any word on parts coming my way :wink:
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
D323

Post by D323 »

JYOUNYA1 wrote:wow where did you get those mazdaspeed tower bars...how long did it take yo uto install your steel clutch and brake lines?

great buy on the GS.

~Jay
TheMan imports things and I get them from him at local meets and what not.

Lines didnt take long at all, bleeding them and getting all the old fluid out was the real b----.
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”