Fuel problem with car

A place for the MX-3 Community in Europe to gather.
Anne

Fuel problem with car

Post by Anne »

Hi Can anyone tell me why my MX3 drags going round corners especially to the right when the petrol is low, has anyone else had this problem. I have just under half a tank just now and it is doing it? :cry:
Anne ;)
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

hello and welcome.

this is not a common problem with the mx-3 i have thrown it round some tight corners with all different kinds of fuel levels, and never had any problems.

unfortunately i couldnt guess what your problem may be........its a weird one...sorry :(
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Hi Anne!

I don't profess to be an automobile technology expert (though I do fall under the banner of "Computer Nerd") so let's see, we can probably work this out by proces of logical elimination.

** Is it possible that the fuel filter is clogged with sediment? This might be a cause, but it is relatively unheard of methinks.

** I would suspect that there is "something" in your fuel tank blocking the tube from which fule is sucked on one side of the tank.

Now, I haven't looked at the schematics for the design of the fuel tank yet, but usually, there are 2 tubes at opposing sides of the tank to ensure that fuel exits the tank - even when you are going around a bend, and your fuel is low.

If one of those tubes had become blocked for whatever reason - bingo!

I would suggest an auto mechanic does a manual inspection of that area where the those tubes exit the tank.

Causes of blockages can include Tyre Technicians NOT placing a JACK correctly under a car and subsequently crushing a metal fuel pipe so much so, that the flow of fuel from the tank becomes restricted.

This is of course all theoretical.
It could be something else.
E.G. Previous owners wife, cheated upon, takes revenge and empties a thimbleful of sand down the fuel tank of hubbys precious MX-3. Or vice versa (T'was 'im wot dunnit).

Or dirty fuel from a suspect storage tank at a petrol station has let sediment hop into your tank.

The possibilities are - um, endless!!

Hope you find out what it is.
Apologies if this was no help.

Thunderstorm.

:oops:
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

might just be that there isnt enough petrol when it 'sloshes' to one side!

Doubt it will be anything to worry about!
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

thunderstorm is probably right, my winter car used to do the same thing when low, pulled the tank and there were floaties in it, when low they would get sucked to the pump filter and partially plug it up, had a friends truck do this as well with a sticker that came off the fuel pump. on my moms car it was really bad gas that had lots of rust in it, plugged the fuel filter right up.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

When I purchased my 1st Project GS back 5 years ago, the car had sediment in the tank that was doing the same thing to me.

I ended up just replacing the tank and fuel pump screen.
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Anne,

Curiousity; What model of MX-3 do you have?
And what year is it?

Thunderstorm
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the help with the fuel problem. There is a pipe with mesh on it in the tank and it was creased, had it staightened and it is fine now. In answer to what type of MX3 it is the 1.8 V6 and it is my second one. Someone run into the back of my last one and wrote it off.
Anne ;)
Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi Thunderstorm, forgot to say it is a 1992 in red. I am looking for a new rear spoiler for it, a fancy one but can't get anyone to ship it to Scotland. Anyone help? Cheers.
Anne ;)
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

what particular spoiler are you looking for ?
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

Anne, try rpi-tuning.de

Top company! :)
Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi, I had a look at the rpi site and they had a universal spoiler that would fit my mazda. I will need to use a translator site to contact them about buying one. Thanks for the help, I'lll let you know if I get a spoiler. :?
Anne ;)
jollyroger1965

Post by jollyroger1965 »

Anne, take a look at ebay item number 8039435108 or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-Mx-3-Rear-W ... dZViewItem

This is rpi tuning de selling what you need for the MX-3...it doesn't look universal.
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

Anne, email the guy and say that Bruce with the red and white mx3 told you to speak to him. His english is pretty good although i know they have now stopped selling the spoiler that i have!
jollyroger1965

Post by jollyroger1965 »

rsroadkilla, they still seem to sell the same spoiler on their ebay site.

Return to “European MX-3 Community”