tapping noise from front of car

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
thetenents

tapping noise from front of car

Post by thetenents »

hi everyone.
got a problem which is causing me some concern.
over the last couple of days i have a tapping sound coming from the front of the car.i know its not the engine.when i press on the brake the noise stops.the slower i go the louder it seems.i have to go on the motorway every day and im worried something is about to fall off.the car is a 1500cc automatic.if some one can put my mind at rest they will forever be hero in my books.
thanks very much.
dean.
twoie

Post by twoie »

do you mean as you slow down the tapping sound slows down?
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

hmmm...... what happens when u turn sharply? is it a clunking noise? im thinking it might be a cv joint. maybe a warped rotor when u brake do you feel anything strange thru ur brake pedal? how bout when ur slowing down and applying brakes what happens?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
twoie

Post by twoie »

Might be a bad wheel bearing. Try jacking up the front of you car. With both tires in the air see if there is play in either one. Try spinning each one to see if they are consistant from side to side. And look at all the things fieromx3 mentioned.
thetenents

Post by thetenents »

firstly,thanks for the quick response.the tapping gets faster the faster i go then stops when i reach about 60mph.ive noticed the steering seems extra light.there doesnt seem to be any noise when i reverse.
thetenents

Post by thetenents »

yes its a clunking sound.cant really feel anything when i brake through the brake pedal,only that the sound stops as i brake.the brakes seem fine.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

i dunno what to say srry thats weird have u checked power steering fluid lately? maybe thats the cause of ur steering feeling ''light''
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”