what other ignition cylinders fit the mx3?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Alex_V

what other ignition cylinders fit the mx3?

Post by Alex_V »

Well I havn't been driving the mx3 for 2 months, and now Im going to trade it to my friend. I have to have a ignition cylinder for it though. It also needs a cat and maybe reasonator, and def tires.

But the main thing is I need to know if other ign cyl's will fit. Or if any of you guys have one with key.

There are other mazdas in the local yards but ive only seen a few mx3's. I need this car sold very bad so I just need a cyl fast. Im going to call junkyards tomorrow and hopefully something else will fit it.

BTW its a 92 with the sohc 1.6L auto, and has 94K miles and is in awsome shape other then the ignition cyl, tires and cat. Any one interested?

~Alex
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

whats wrong with the ignition cylinder? if its stuck you can fix it..pull it appart but DONT move the poition of the teeth..PULL that silver plate that locks it..slide it back in and walla...your car ignition cylinder will no longer get stuck!!! yup.. and it works the same as before...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Alex_V

Post by Alex_V »

I wish it was that easy. The previous owner snapped the key off in the cyl and threw it out. I probably could have pulled the key out.

Hence the needing one from an mx3 or similar. Im about to just go to the junkyard and pull a whole bunch of cars to look for it.

~Alex
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

HAHAHAH what the hell is wrong with that guy....you can get a key out of a lock so easily.

Did he throw away the key, or the whole lock? Just go to a junk yard and pick up a new cylinder. Take it to a locksmith and get a key cut for it, and you'll be good to go.

If you still have the cylender and theres just a key stuck in it, you can get it out by filing down a bicycle spoke. Just file a half arrow on the very tip...

Question: How do you even get the cylinder out?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Alex_V

Post by Alex_V »

I wish i still had it. I would have fixed it the week I bought it. The guys smart but just unfocused. I was trading him an s10 which was lowered 3in already, and he primered it and used a torch to lower the truck onto its frame rails, and it was his daily driver on ohio's pothole filled side streets. Hes just an s10 freak.

There arent many mx3's in the local junkyards. Ive seen 3 in 10 months. only the last one i saw had what i needed and i saw it when the junkyard was closing, and it was 25deg and i was tired. the car was also locked. It would have worked out perfect schedual wise too. but no...

Im going tomorrow as soon as they open though. see what else will work.

~Alex
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

its amazing how easy the cylinder comes out..i did it in 5 minutes..i could start the car with a screw driver with the cylidner out..oyur cars are easy prey to get stolen :S all you do is get a hex key and urn set...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Alex_V

Post by Alex_V »

I got one out of a 323. Donno what year but it works. I got the whole steering colum so maybe i wont have to take it off. it was like $10 too. sweet. shoulda done this months ago.

~Alex
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Shouldn't be a problem swapping a 323 the cylinder or column into a MX-3 since they are the same parts (MX-3 is built on a stretched 323 chassis and the early MX-3 dash was originally used in the '89 323F)
Alex_V

Post by Alex_V »

couldnt have posted that sooner? doesnt matter I have my part and it sounds like it wont take too much work. I cant wait to get this car in perfect shape. Now only if I could list it here with only 10 posts (this is #8) This is the one of a dozen forums i go too that I dont have over a few hundred posts...sigh.

~Alex

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”