95 MX-3 1.6L DOHC cold air intake

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
i'm_rich

95 MX-3 1.6L DOHC cold air intake

Post by i'm_rich »

hey guys
been lookin for a cold air intake for my 95 mx-3. it has the 1.6 dohc. can't find one anywhere. anyone know where i can get one?

also, anyone know the big difference between the cai and the short ram intake? is one better than the other? how much better?

thanks a lot for the help.
i'm rich and here's my ride! Check it out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214972
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Search for which intake to get, it's been discussed. And just because it says SOHC doesn't mean it won't fit the DOHC (supposedly)

As for your second question, yes, there is a difference. A while back I slapped on a cone filter that a friend gave to me. Simply by attaching it to the MAF I basically made a short ram intake. At first I was impressed, since I noticed a small gain (I didn't think I'd see any gain). Seeing as how I had a clean filter box before the swap it must have been due to the decreased air restriction.

However on warm days, on long drives, a while after my car warmed up completely, preformance would decrease back to what it felt like with the air box (if not worse). That is because the engine bay air gets nice and toasty and your intake sucks it all up. The CAI avoids this later bogging of the system by moving the filter outside of the engine bay.

The problem with the cai is that it location (in the fender wall), tends to make people weary of moisture that accumulate inside, which if it is sucked into the intake can cause some ugly damage.

AEM and PRM I believe both have bypass valves (I could be wrong), so you can use them all the time. They cost a lot more, but you tend to get what you pay for. If it's all sunshine and apple trees just get the cold air. If it's rainy and muggy you might as well get the cold air anyways, use the cone as a short ram, and then wait for the weather to clear.

hopefully that is all correct and helpfull
make of it what you will

~my .03 cents
i'm_rich

Post by i'm_rich »

thanks man. i think i'll go with the cai with the valve. do the make a shield type thing to help block the water?

thanks for everything
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

No there is no sheild, but if you goto ebay you can find a universal by pass valve which is basically just a piece of sponge in a tubular shaped wraped in a metal screen with some silicia in the middle of it.. they are about 4 bucks each.

I currently do NOT have one of these on my car and have run it in the rain just fine for about a year now... the way the fender well is designed is pretty good in terms of protection against water.. but not so great for air-flow...

But again.. i have noticed a significant increase in power, and had no problems with water..

It also sounds nifty :)

-Chris
i'm_rich

Post by i'm_rich »

is your engine the 1.6L DOHC? if so did you modify a cai for the SOHC?
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

yes.. i have the 1.6 L DOHC.... and yes.. i did modify the SOHC version for my use.. there wasn't much to it though :P

just alittle cutting of the old air dam.. and bought an extra hose connector.

-Chris
MazdaKiller

Post by MazdaKiller »

i hear you can use a prelude intake as well
Focal

Post by Focal »

i am not sure if a prelude intake would work. Has any1 tried this? I know that pre 2001 honda engines had there intake manifold orientated towards the left side of the car not the right.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Focal wrote:Pre 2001 honda engines had there intake manifold orientated towards the left side of the car not the right.
Yup. Intake goes down the left side (facing the front of the car). I can't imagine it working either.
i'm_rich

Post by i'm_rich »

hey guys
thanks for the info. i know enough people who have made the SOHC cai work so i'll probably just go with that. thanks.

P.S. if ya'll haven't heard about the Manchester, NH meet please check it out if you're interested. just leave your name and how many people are going with you. thanks.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... c&&start=0

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”