MX-3 and Solo II

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)

MX-3 good for Solo II

yes
100%
no
No votes
who cares this is a dumb poll anyway
No votes
maybe if the zoom zoom kid was driving
No votes

Total votes: 3

Napoleon

MX-3 and Solo II

Post by Napoleon »

How well does the MX-3 fair in Solo II competition against others in its class?

Im thinking about getting a V6 MX-3 for Solo II events, big engine small car, light weight....

What are the handling characteristics of the car like? What are acceleration times like? At what RPM does your torque peak?

Would you reccommend it or something else more competive for its class?
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

What is Solo II?
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Selecta wrote:What is Solo II?
dido that, ive heard of solo before, its like racing between cones in a parking lot or whatnot, but what is solo II?????
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There are 2 types of Solo racing

- SoloI is on a road course. The racing is still against the clock and racers are spaced out so no one catches up. Obvously racing will be fast.
- SoloII is what we would know as AutoCross. The low-speed technical course around pilons racing against the clock

Here are the classifications for SoloII:
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/

Gro Harlem and papa roached both posted videos of their Mx-3 on AutoX. I remember Gro saying, although he classified his car as a K8, he still managed to get one of the fastest times compared to those who he should have been competiting against. I think it was that day he also shapped an axle. Hopefully if i get a weekend off this year, I will definitely be going. Don't worry Selecta, I'll let you know when. Apparently alot of the Autocross events are done at the Hershey Center
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

the MX would do well in autox. it's a bit heavier than the Protege/EGT and 323 of the same basic chassis, but has an advantage of a 30mm wider track and the V6, although the BP is lighter and just as powerfull.

all in all, it would be fun to drive if all else fails :D
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Especially with the KL it's fun. The KL has enough power to pull you out of turns without having to downshift to 1st. Then, it gives you enough revs to 7500 that you shouldn't need to waste time shifting to 3rd either.
andthisguy

Post by andthisguy »

Selecta wrote:What is Solo II?
wow..

i'm assuming the mx3 doesn't have much racing heritage?! in my opinion, i think these cars are good to learn in. esp the 4 cyl.. cus it teaches you the proper way to race, not the "hide mistakes with horsepower" way....

just like miata's...
andthisguy

Post by andthisguy »

also, consider Nasaproracing.. they offer a great way to get some track time. Get plenty of practice time on circuits like Laguna Seca, Midohio, Raod Atlanta, etc.... 150 bux for FOUR 20 minute sessions is a waaay better deal than 30 bux for FIVE 40 second runs with auto X..... plus you don't waste the whole day from 8 til 430 just to run your 5 minutes....

anyway, i'm just whoring in efforts to reach 30 posts....(to make a "car for sale" post)
andthisguy

Post by andthisguy »

so here's another post!!!

if you want to get into racing, autocross through Scca really is a great way to start... and these Mx3's no matter what model or tranny you have will work just great for learning!!! So, find someone that will show you the ropes of paper work, tech inspection requirements, helmet choices, etc..... and have some fun mane!!
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Thank you, very informative
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

lakersfan1 wrote:Especially with the KL it's fun. The KL has enough power to pull you out of turns without having to downshift to 1st. Then, it gives you enough revs to 7500 that you shouldn't need to waste time shifting to 3rd either.
You would be more competitive if you left the 1.8 in. If you do a ZE swap I don't thinkt that you can run in any of the street categorys (See Note Below). If true you would have to run E-modified and that means displacement from 2.0L-3.8L and a minimum weight of 1700 lbs. or unlimited displacement with a weight limit of 1800 lbs. You would have to pimp out the suspension and gut the Mx-3 to compete in this class. There is a V-8 Monster Miata in the Atlanta area E Modified class. That is who I will be running against when I go out this year.
Engine block must be a production unit manufactured and
badged the same as the original standard or optional engine
for that model. Badges that exist as marketing aliases for the
manufacturer will be recognized as equivalents. Swaps
involving makes related only at a corporate level are not
recognized as equivalents.

Since it just says "block". You might be able to get into a Street Modified class. Being that the ZE and K8 both use a K series block Does anyone here know for sure what the ruling is. I haven't ran in any class yet, only in novice or Time Only. So I am not 100% sure but am very curious. I think that if you did get into street mod it would be Street Modified 2 which is where the corvette guys run and then you can just kiss your a-- goodbye.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

yes, the KLZE or KLDE is legal for SM (street modified)

NOT legal for ST (street Tire) classes.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Mazdaracer wrote:yes, the KLZE or KLDE is legal for SM (street modified)

NOT legal for ST (street Tire) classes.
Do you agree that a ZE would be placed in SM2 forcing it to compete with the big arse whoopers? I know for a fact that the CRX is excluded from SM. I assumed that a similar mini 4 seater would be also.
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

The MX3 is legal for SM, having 4 seats. SM2 is for 2 seaters, but a 4 seater is still legal for SM2.

The CRX is strictly a 2 seater, not a mini 4 seater. Speaking of, it's not impossible to defeat the big arse whoopers in a CRX, i just happened to do it last weekend in SM2 ;)

SM or SM2, the engine is legal for both.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Awesome..thank you for that info. I guess it is legal because of the K-series block??
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”