wiring troubles

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
emerica

wiring troubles

Post by emerica »

this is the first time i have ever wired anything.

I have a P3002 rockford amp and 2 10" punch subs, i have pretty much everything wired properly i THINK but.. where am i supose to attach the GND or ground wires in my trunk, and what is REM? i know its got something to do with 12v but im not sure. ihave my imput and B+ wired up aswel as my subs, so i just need to fix up my GND and REM

any help??
reppin' calgary alberta son what
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2194833
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

ok, i'm assuming you have either the p1 or the p2 10's. in either case it's a 4 ohm sub. the p3002 is a 2-channel amp, so you need to connect each sub separately and that means that your gonna have next to no power to those subs. i believe that amp is 75W x 2 @ 4 ohm, so as you can see you're not getting too much power.

if you can, exchance the amp for the p3001 because it is 300W x1 @ 2ohm and when you connect two 4 ohm subs in parallel, you'll end up with a 2 ohm load, so you'll get 300w shared between the two.

in simple terms the p3002 will give each sub 75w and the p3001 will give each sub 150w, so the choice is obvious. you are way underpowering those subs with the amp you have now.

btw, GND is ground and you want to use a really short and really thick wire. you attach the wire to the frame of the car as close to the amp as possible. REM is the 12v signal wire from the deck. it should be a blue wire coming from the deck's harness if you have an aftermarket deck.

good luck.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
emerica

Post by emerica »

i have a JVC deck and there are no openings for the REM cable to plug into that i can notice.

for the GND what do you suggest i attach it to? i have all the wires i just need to find places to put them
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

emerica wrote:i have a JVC deck and there are no openings for the REM cable to plug into that i can notice.
Hook up the remote wire to a switched 12v source that is switched by the key.
emerica wrote:for the GND what do you suggest i attach it to? i have all the wires i just need to find places to put them
The "GND" is ground, take it to the chassi where there is no paint and you can get a good electrical contact, for example, the child safety seat strap point.

Bochek
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

OK i take it your putting your subs in the trunk. Pull back the carpet and look for a screw sitting around that doenst' have any paint. If it does, just sand it off the screw and the body of the car. Take the screw out, and run a 4 or 8 guage wire from your amp to the screw. This is your ground.

The power runs straite from the batterie. It should be the same size as your ground wire.

BE CAREFULL: DO not run your power and your RCA cables together, sometimes the signal can get distorded. Run your power and REM together down the consol, under the carpet and up the seat, and the RCA down the side of the car, and under the back seat.

For the REM, this is the cable that turns the amps on when you turn your deck on. Now, if there is no blue wire comming out of your deck, go get a voltemeter (sp?). Check every wire for power when the deck is off. Hopefully none. Turn the deck on and test the red ones black ones, blue ones...whichever. If its got power when the deck is on, thats the one you use to turn the amp on.

I think.

OK question time. I've got a 500watts at 4 ohm bridged on my amp...if i wired up my two subs parralell, woudl it be better? It would be 250 at 2 ohms. Now, its a two channel so if i connect them seperate, it woudl be 125watts at 4 ohms per sub (Alpine type E, ten inch 250-300 RMS). Woudl the sound be bigger, but not have the same quality?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
emerica

Post by emerica »

Bochek wrote:
emerica wrote:i have a JVC deck and there are no openings for the REM cable to plug into that i can notice.
emerica wrote:for the GND what do you suggest i attach it to? i have all the wires i just need to find places to put them
The "GND" is ground, take it to the chassi where there is no paint and you can get a good electrical contact, for example, the child safety seat strap point.

Bochek
can i get an example of a switched 12v source?? like where to connect it, or what i can buy??

for the ground where can i get to easy from the trunk?? and what exatcly do i have to connect it to, just bolt it up to something metal???
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Vanished wrote: OK question time. I've got a 500watts at 4 ohm bridged on my amp...if i wired up my two subs parralell, woudl it be better? It would be 250 at 2 ohms. Now, its a two channel so if i connect them seperate, it woudl be 125watts at 4 ohms per sub (Alpine type E, ten inch 250-300 RMS). Woudl the sound be bigger, but not have the same quality?
woah your way off.

If your amp puts out 500 watts at 4 ohm's and you parralell 2 subs, im assuming there 4 ohm, then you would have 1000 watts at 2 ohms.

Wich would be the way to go assuming your amp can handle a 2 ohm load.

Bochek
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

emerica wrote:
Bochek wrote:

Bochek
can i get an example of a switched 12v source?? like where to connect it, or what i can buy??

for the ground where can i get to easy from the trunk?? and what exatcly do i have to connect it to, just bolt it up to something metal???
a switched 12v source would be anything that comes on when your igniton is on, for example, the main power to your radio.

Bochek
emerica

Post by emerica »

k so.
red wire from (+)battery to B+ in amp
short black wire for ground in trunk to GND on amp
small blue wire for power from 12v source ie radio power to REM on amp

and wire subs to amp and everything should work

i just need a good place to connect the 12v source on my car, still confused on where i can easily do this. :(
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

emerica wrote:k so.
red wire from (+)battery to B+ in amp
short black wire for ground in trunk to GND on amp
small blue wire for power from 12v source ie radio power to REM on amp

and wire subs to amp and everything should work

i just need a good place to connect the 12v source on my car, still confused on where i can easily do this. :(
yep like that it will work

by the 12v source do you mean the switched source?

find the main + power wire for your headunit (radio) and just splice it in there, your amp will come on when ever your car is on, but will stay on when your radio is off.

If you have your stock radio i might be able to tell you what wire it is.

Let me know,
Bochek
emerica

Post by emerica »

what do u mean by splice?
sorry for asking so much s--- nobody i know even owns a car haha.

i have an aftermarket JVC deck, ill take a picture of the back of it when i get home in like 30 min
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

emerica wrote:what do u mean by splice?
sorry for asking so much shat nobody i know even owns a car haha.

i have an aftermarket JVC deck, ill take a picture of the back of it when i get home in like 30 min
splice = connect them, go get yourself a few of these Image

you put the power wire right through it and then the end of the wire you want to splice in right beside the power wire, so it looks like this Image where the red wire is the main power wire to the radio wire, and the blue wire is the wire running to your remote wire on your amp. you just take a pair of vicegrips and squeeze the metal peice into the wires.

hope this helps... Bochek
emerica

Post by emerica »

if im correct i read somewhere that the white with blue / blue with white stripe is the one i connect to

this is what the bac of my deck looks like:

thx for all the help ur givin me bochek
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

what make/model is your deck i will find what wire it is for you.

Bochek
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

it should say it on the deck mine gives me a list of like red=power blah blah blah. =)
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”