JDM Engine swap questions

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
ManoWar

JDM Engine swap questions

Post by ManoWar »

Hi i havn't posted in a while and i know there are tons of topics on this matter on the forum but i want a fellow mx3ers opinion on the matter.
I have a 94 mx3 wich i purchased in april of this year at 237,000km now after almost a year i am at 280,000km and it is normal to start thinking about a swap. My engine is very smooth and for the last 15,000km i stopped beating it and racing it like i did before. Oil was changed regularly and all maintanance done acordingly.
But i am scarred that this engine might go soon and now i am due for a timing belt replacement, wich is around 500$ with the water pump. So it is normal to start thinking if a swap will be a better deal.
i am looking for a toronto region jdm shop that is nationly recognized as beeing fair and good. I dont mind spending a few hundreds more in exchange of a piece of mind that my engine is fairly new (40k as advertised) and in a very good condition.

These are some questions i still have
What companies are there in the GTA?
How much should i expect to spend (engine mounts replacement etc..)
What else to look at to see if an engine does indeed have 40k other than cleaness and a pressure test?
Is it worth it in my specifical case to get a engine swap?
Do you think its better to just change the timing belt and water pump (I mean do u think that our engines last 340k or so(i know it depends on how u threat it, consider it like this i will still be racing from time to time?
How is the fuel consumption different on the klze/klde versus our k8?
And something totally unrelated, how much for a good mono paint job with rust removing etc...(also maybe some good shop recommandations)?
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

i think you're actually good for a little while.
i bought mine at 180 000 km sept 2002, did the timing belt and stuff at 200 000.
kept going till 355 000 in sept 2005 and was still rather confident that my k8 coulda gone to 400 000, but it was eatting too much oil.
as for JDM shops......i will warn you do NOT go to Tiger Japan.
horror story right there...
Nd4SpdSe

Re: JDM Engine swap questions

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ManoWar wrote:But i am scarred that this engine might go soon and now i am due for a timing belt replacement, wich is around 500$ with the water pump. So it is normal to start thinking if a swap will be a better deal.
Actually that was my excuse for my swap. My waterpump was leaking, fixed using Bars Leak additive. The timing belt was also original and had 140'000kms on it, although our engines are non-interference, so if the belt goes, it's highly unlikely that it will break anything.
ManoWar wrote: What companies are there in the GTA?
How much should i expect to spend (engine mounts replacement etc..)
What else to look at to see if an engine does indeed have 40k other than cleaness and a pressure test?
Is it worth it in my specifical case to get a engine swap?
Do you think its better to just change the timing belt and water pump (I mean do u think that our engines last 340k or so(i know it depends on how u threat it, consider it like this i will still be racing from time to time?
How is the fuel consumption different on the klze/klde versus our k8?
If you want quality, apparently Japan Auto, although expensive, have almost mint engines. Although they do installations, say you did the swap yourself, and you got a bad engine, they'll change the engine for you under warranty for no cost.

It's really upto you if you want to spend more. All you basically need is the engine, a new clutch (resurface the flywheel) and the proper ECU and your good to go. In your case, you're going to need a waterpump. Motormounts are optional. You can get new OEM's, or MazdaSpeed ones from Corksport, and you can polyfill either of them. Motormount pushings from SRD You can do the idler pulles, tensioner as well as the timing belt (there's a kit you can buy that comes will the pullies, tensioner and timing belt) and serpentine belts while the engine is out. New spark plugs and wires. New thermostat, maybe tome Phoenic spacers, new fuel pump too. While the engine is out, it's really upto you on how much you want to do and spend.

Compression and leakdown are ways to test it, but another way is to take off the front valve cover. If the underside is incased in what looks like darn brown, burnt oil, it hasn't been properly taken care of.

With my ZE swap, I get anywhere between 50 to 150km more per tank. I tend to average about 450km a tank, where with the k8, 300-350 was average. I got an amazing 510km tank coming back from Ottawa in spring. Kp2t with his ZE got 480-something I believe as well.

I'm farily rough with my ZE, but it's too much fun to take it easy :) For the first year I was drag racing at Cayuga almost every other weekend, i was addicted, but now being in the steady mid-15's, wheelhop, plus 3rd gear needed a new synchro, I don't anymore until i get that stuff resolved. Unless you run mid-14's, you'll just get walked all over at the track. When I used to go when i first did my way, the track was loaded with all kinds of Fast and Furious kiddies with stock cars so it was fun walking all over them (then again, my car was low-15's, high-14's back then too), but now their gone and all that's left are the enthousiasts with farily fast cars
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

ManoWar wrote:Hi i havn't posted in a while and i know there are tons of topics on this matter on the forum but i want a fellow mx3ers opinion on the matter.
I'm sorry, I just couldn't get past the first line .... way too funny. Who do you think wrote all of those "tons of topics" in the first place? .....fellow MX'rs giving there opinions of course. Your asking for the same thing you don't want to search or look too - MX3'ers opinions. Not trying to be calas, just found it quite amusing and a bit contridicting.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Lol John, you rock :D
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

jschrauwen wrote:
ManoWar wrote:Hi i havn't posted in a while and i know there are tons of topics on this matter on the forum but i want a fellow mx3ers opinion on the matter.
I'm sorry, I just couldn't get past the first line .... way too funny. Who do you think wrote all of those "tons of topics" in the first place? .....fellow MX'rs giving there opinions of course. Your asking for the same thing you don't want to search or look too - MX3'ers opinions. Not trying to be calas, just found it quite amusing and a bit contridicting.
its good that i entertained you. But what i should of added was the word "in my specific case"

on the other hand thanks for the feedback Nd4spdSe and Deimos. I am having 2 problems with my engine, and atleast the first one is really common. I burn around 700ml of oil per 1000km (depending on driving habbits) and the second is that i have a idle problem as it drops when i press the clutch dramaticly (and its not the throttle body or the TPS sensor as i checked both of them). Its almost a year since i am trying to solve this second problem and quite honestly its getting frustrated.
Most fuel efficient i've been was 560kms on a tank of gas. But in my case when the fuel light is on without interuptions i still squeeze 50kms outta it.

What transmision do u have need4speed? should i go for the mx6 (it has a taller 5th how bad will this ruin my performance?
Speaking of taller 5th gear on the mx6 tranny what does the rpm show while going 100? I am really obsessed about the ridiculosly short 5th gear in our cars.

I also heard rumours that the s2000 transmision might fit our cars. Has anyone done that
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ManoWar wrote:What transmision do u have need4speed? should i go for the mx6 (it has a taller 5th how bad will this ruin my performance?
Speaking of taller 5th gear on the mx6 tranny what does the rpm show while going 100? I am really obsessed about the ridiculosly short 5th gear in our cars.
I'm using my stock Mx-3 tranny, but honnestly, I love the short gears (which is adding complexity to doing a LSD). I love being at peak torque at 120km/h. But for the Mx-6 tranny, it's not a longer 5th but all the gears themselves are longer because of the final drive of 4.11:1 instead of our Mx-3(and Probe) 4.38:1. But the difference is apparently about 300rpms. But in all cases, taller gears; higher top speed, slower acceleration.
ManoWar wrote:I also heard rumours that the s2000 transmision might fit our cars. Has anyone done that
That's news to me...but if it did, how do you get a RWD transmission to work on a transverly mounted FWD engine? Besides, it's designed for a drive shaft...there'd be no place to put FWD axles.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Going back about 3-4 weeks ago, I personally saw the best lookin ZE I have ever seen. It was a 99 and was going for $1200 with TB. No ECU or Vaf. Check it out. They had 3 ZE's there but that 99 had my heart! Lucky star. 416-240-8444. 32 Ingram Drive. TO . Speak to mike.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hmm, aren't the ZE's from later years, like 98 and up lower compression and less hp?
MX3 GSR for dummies

I also saw a 97 there that was just as good but not sparkling like the 99. Only one can judge so much by looks. Mine looked like it ran a mud durby but performed amzing

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

Sup Traian,

GET THE SWAP!

It'll be a little more but here is an okay break down.

I'll check the labour time guide tommorrow to see the time.

Anyways, after driving the Talon, the stock Mx-3 feels like a joke.
Personally, if I had time money and knowledge, I'd try to fit a miata tranny and engine and make a RWD MX-3 but that's another story.

you should get the KLZE for about 800-1000-1200 plus tax. a little more but when I was shopping for one, that what I saw.

Stock mounts but it woould REALLY help wheel hop with nice polyurthane mounts (interts)

Is it worth it? Definately, seeing that you like to beat your car up and that you used to drive a VW, Yes. I also heard that Fuel consumption is about the same.

All in all, get that thing!

Later
95 240sx S14 - Yes, I go Sideways
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

jschrauwen wrote:
:werd: answered way to many times, i know cuz i've asked some of these before and then found them in old topics!
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
MX3 GSR for dummies

Too much Time wrote:Anyways, after driving the Talon, the stock Mx-3 feels like a joke.
Personally, if I had time money and knowledge, I'd try to fit a miata tranny and engine and make a RWD MX-3 but that's another story.
WHOA....I'd rather go with a small block 350...parts are cheap, and re-enforce and eliminate the unibody with cross beams, and do the rear wheel drive. Putting a dinky 4 banger in an mx-3 has been done too many times

Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

MX3 GSR for dummies wrote:
Too much Time wrote:Anyways, after driving the Talon, the stock Mx-3 feels like a joke.
WHOA....I'd rather go with a small block 350...parts are cheap, and re-enforce and eliminate the unibody with cross beams, and do the rear wheel drive. Putting a dinky 4 banger in an mx-3 has been done too many times
Yeah whatever.

A 350 small block has also been done. A miata engine would keep it mazda and keep the intergirty of the car.

Also, I've heard of no rwd Mx-3's in the recent past. I'd love to see some though.

I'm in no rush to try it but I'm sure other people enjoyed your comment :roll:
95 240sx S14 - Yes, I go Sideways
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”