warm start no noise cold start very loud scrapping noise

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MEXTHREE

warm start no noise cold start very loud scrapping noise

Post by MEXTHREE »

well title says it all i guess but in more detail its like this

i plug in my car at night,

1= next day turn on, no loud noise no chugging
2= i dont plug in my car,turn on ignition then loud noise & chugging and almost didnt start. The noise is gone after 3 mins
3= set my auto start car warmer every 3 hrs
Start the car it has a noise and a lil chugging, the noise goes away in 1 min

The chugging
now all i can think that its my pistons, frozen? and has a hard time starting making it chug and i did change the oil for winter driving
or
my injectors has deposists which making the spray of fuel uneven making the car to start improperly hence chugging?

The noise
Alternator needs to be lubed up?
(checking it its tight nothing loose that i can see)

thats all i got now
i know that in warmer climates the car runs smoothly
but when jack frost winter comes around my car seems to have trouble starting..

So the thing i want to do is elimenate the scrapping, screeching noise and the lil chugging, i know that the symptons do go away once the engine is up and running warm but i am OCD perfectionist thus me here writing this :)

and i did change the battery, so the question is should i get engine cleaner ?
and when i attempted to locate the noise it was diff to find cuz its so loud it sounded like it was emitting from the engine block but i cant tell maybe i should record the sound on a digital recorder and set up a link so u all can hear??

note- This only does happen every single time when i dont plug in block heater or auto timer warm up
so i maybe looking into much of this but i want my mx-3 to run strong even in -40 below canadian winters
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Anything below 0C and the my car would always get plugged in. For the pennies it cost to keep the engine warm it's well worth avoiding those hard starts on cold days. Why cheap it if you already know that it starts much better when left plugged in? Some of the hardest stresses an engine faces is on initial start-up ... compound that with very cold temps and it's a recipe for shorter engine life. If you haven't done so, by all means run an additive in the gas to clean injectors. I believe it also would assist in keeping fuel lines from freezing, which is also a possibility in your area. Gas line de-icer is also an option. Try a search for a common topic thread that I found a few days ago. It mentions the 3 basic engine (mechanical) noises that one may hear on initial/cold start-ups. HLA's being one, I believe friction gear is another and I can't off hand remember the third. I believe it was a post by custommx3. Basically everything that I just posted has already been posted in the past. It would be worth your while to get used to using the search function also. Hope this helps.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MEXTHREE

Post by MEXTHREE »

well i did use the search i guess i didnt really type in the most accurate key words to my situation sorry i am still a newb here and thx for the heads up i always search for threads i guess i should of looked harder

my bad sorry lol but i will search for it now.

Well i did a search again and i clicked on all threads resembling noises coming from the car/engine

The noise is not a tick tick tick or anything like that.
Its like a long continuous screeching noise, i will buy some engine cleaner additives and i will do a oil change iver the weekend, maybe that will cure it. If not i will be back to post updates :)
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

MEXTHREE wrote:The noise is not a tick tick tick or anything like that.
Its like a long continuous screeching noise,
It may be the power steering system or any of the other belts. Inspect and check for proper tension or replace as necessary.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

FlyVFR wrote:
It may be the power steering system or any of the other belts. Inspect and check for proper tension or replace as necessary.
Boy did I misread this one. I think you're spot on "VFR"! Loose accessary belts will surely squeel on cold morning start-ups especially in our winters.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

jschrauwen wrote:
FlyVFR wrote:
Boy did I misread this one. I think you're spot on "VFR"! Loose accessary belts will surely squeel on cold morning start-ups especially in our winters.
I could see why, since the noise description was more specific and posted after your first reply. :wink:

I bet you'll have no problem with this call: November Niner one two niner yankee, 10 miles south, inbound with information charlie. Request close traffic pattern touch and go... :)
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

FlyVFR wrote: I bet you'll have no problem with this call: November Niner one two niner yankee, 10 miles south, inbound with information charlie. Request close traffic pattern touch and go... :)
Roger N9129Y, Rwy 24, altimeter xx.xx, winds xxx/xx number 1 for the touch n go, traffic is an A300 Airbus holding at the YTR NDB at 3000, report right downwind. Very little Tower controller experience per say, since I'm only qualified as a Flight Follower, Flight Advisor, PAR/GCI Controller, Traffic/Arrival Controller as well as equipment Data Systems Coordinator/Instructor. So most of my experience is IFR.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

jschrauwen wrote: Roger N9129Y, Rwy 24, altimeter xx.xx, winds xxx/xx number 1 for the touch n go, traffic is an A300 Airbus holding at the YTR NDB at 3000, report right downwind. Very little Tower controller experience per say, since I'm only qualified as a Flight Follower, Flight Advisor, PAR/GCI Controller, Traffic/Arrival Controller as well as equipment Data Systems Coordinator/Instructor. So most of my experience is IFR.
Roger..Niner one two niner yankee, have trafic in sight, right downwind Rwy 24.

For sure the ATC job is a bit different. But you got most of it. :) "Information "X" is used by some busy towers to transmit local weather and settings at scheduled intervals or changes. The message increments by alphabet letter. This is done to ease tower load. So the next information would be "information Delta, etc..." So when I called in I stated (I had altimeter and wind) with "Information Charlie" But I see there was a last minute change in wind :wink:

Also the protocal may be slightly different, since I am not current and have not flown for quite a while.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Normally, on initial contact alt. and winds are given - normally. But can be omitted of course depending on the age or validity of the current running ATIS message, but is a must of course if no ATIS is available. Altimeter tolerance on ATIS is 2, so a new one would be required, or perhaps if the pressure is rising or falling rapidly, an accurate alt reading from the ATIS may not be available. Ya, I'm rusty in the Tower alright. I'll do radar squares and formation splits all day long though.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

BTW- They used to issue NOTAMS when I went up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger..9129Y right downwind, runway 24.

Weird...as I'm writing while watching the news, they reported a small aircraft crashed into the hudson in Yonkers, NY. Both pilot and passenger survided :2thumbsup:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
tomfromsauga

Re: warm start no noise cold start very loud scrapping noise

Post by tomfromsauga »

does anyone have a good answer to this problem?

I have been having this same problem for about 2 years. If the temp is below -5 celsius or so it would always start with a loud scratchy noise.
It almost sounds like the same type of noise you get when you turn the key to start your engine while it's already running.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Re: warm start no noise cold start very loud scrapping noise

Post by FlyVFR »

tomfromsauga wrote:does anyone have a good answer to this problem?

I have been having this same problem for about 2 years. If the temp is below -5 celsius or so it would always start with a loud scratchy noise.
It almost sounds like the same type of noise you get when you turn the key to start your engine while it's already running.
Might be a starter assy. problem if this is hapenning while the engine is cranked.
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

FlyVFR wrote:
jschrauwen wrote: Roger N9129Y, Rwy 24, altimeter xx.xx, winds xxx/xx number 1 for the touch n go, traffic is an A300 Airbus holding at the YTR NDB at 3000, report right downwind. Very little Tower controller experience per say, since I'm only qualified as a Flight Follower, Flight Advisor, PAR/GCI Controller, Traffic/Arrival Controller as well as equipment Data Systems Coordinator/Instructor. So most of my experience is IFR.
Roger..Niner one two niner yankee, have trafic in sight, right downwind Rwy 24.

^^ LOL...jokes

also, my ride also does that on cold days, HLA history.
My names Dave, and Mazda has direct access to my bank account...sighs...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”