swap/transmission question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CarMan1

swap/transmission question

Post by CarMan1 »

ok, im going to swap a bp in...

im getting a engine and 5 speed from a protege lx, also gunna pull a harness and ECU... least thats the plan

if i have a sohc 1.6 5 speed atm, i know the engine bolts in, what else would i need? do i need new tranny mounts? also, do the axles for the protege tranny fit the standard hubs on the mx-3 for the sohc tranny? and one more thing, i do-do a bit of traveling, and i was wondering if the gearing on the protege tranny will be a bit friendlier at high end, since my current tranny in 5th gear only lets me get about 70 tops, and thats keepign it at like 4-5k RPM

thanks for any answers...
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Go ahead and get all of the engine mounts as well-- especially if you are using the Protege tranny.

Use the axles from the Protege-- but you can use your MX-3 hubs.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ok thanks, and does anyone know about the gearing ratios? kinda need a little more high end b/c of highway driving..
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Gearing is worse than the MX-3 as far as highway driving goes... the revs will be higher.

However, the tranny and the axles are much beefier. SOmeone posted a pic comparing the G-series and the F-series axles-- and the G-series were WAY thicker than the F-series.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Shades

Post by Shades »

The F-series tranny's are supposedly better for highway driving... and the G-series are better to get you up and off the line.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

in my bp with the f series tranny i was at 3000 rpms at round 60mph.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

my mistake have a pic at what rpms at 60 mph

60mph at 2750 rpms
62-63 probly at 3000rpms
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

kk, im just curious, cuz i dont want to keep the car at around 4k rpm to be doing 75-80.... so no matter what i do looks like ill hafta keep it kinda high... so for highway driving my SOHC tranny is the best... im not lookin to launch hard or anything... im gunna do a bp swap cuz this sohc isnt cutting it, and it is comming up on 160k miles, with no problems... itll become a back-up engine...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”