How do I replace the glass in my side mirror

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
rusty

How do I replace the glass in my side mirror

Post by rusty »

Ok, so how do I replace the the mirror glass on my passenger side view mirror? I have taken the old broken mirror out which was double sided taped in there. But the new glass mirror that I got at Canadian Tire doesn't seem to fit around the black plastic trim. What am I doing wrong?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

What black plastic trim are you talking about?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Some models had black plastic trim around the mirror. My Folding ones do.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I have electric adjustable mirrors and the black plastic is the peice that moves that the mirror fits into. Seems simple but haven't been able to get the new mirror in.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You might have to heat the plastic just a bit to make it flexable. Then insert the mirror and place a small bag of sand on the mirror to hold it down while the glue sets and to flatten out the plastic. A gallon size zip-lock bag full of sand whould be heavy enough to do the trick. (this is only an educated guess since I've never taken the mirrors out of my MX-3)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I dissasembled my power folding mirror last night to fix it (damn motor burned up in it)

I removed the folding section.

The mirror on mine has 4 clips. I had to use a tine flathead to remove the bottom half of it and then the top half came off. Im not sure of yorus is like mine or not, they are OEM, but JDM Option mirrors.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

^ yea.. u dont use a hair-dryer on the glass to heat up the glue behind it.. because there is NO DOUBT that you'll shatter the glass. like barry said, u need to use a flathead screwdriver or something, and go inbetween the housing and the glass, and push in the clip things on the back of the black mounting bracket. then the whole mirror glass w/ black piece will come off. i have spares if u need any lol
92 Autozam AZ3
rusty

Post by rusty »

today i removed the black plastic housing the mirror fits into. There are two clips that you need to use a small screwdriver to release them. then the mirror house turns and comes right out. I was able to get the new glass in the houseing once I had it off of my car. Job complete!

Return to “Appearance”