MX3 fuel door lock

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
breenmachine

MX3 fuel door lock

Post by breenmachine »

I don't know if thats what its really called but could someone explain to me how the fuel door lock works. Was my first time fueling my new MX3 and the door didnt pop open when i pulled the switch so i gave it a little pull to open it, then it wouldnt lock closed again.

I tried to take the little piece out that appears to lock it and take a look at what might be jamming it in but it fell inside the hole it was attached to when i took the nut off with a wrech.

So what I'm wondering is how would I get at where this piece would have fell in, I'm thinkin behind the panels in the trunk and after I find it, how does it work? Is it spring loaded? I really have no idea this is my first car.
Thanks
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that piece that fell inside is what locks it. When you pull the lever it pulls that piece opening the door.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

THat little balck thing that pops the door open. I HATE THAT THING!! when it gets cold it sticks.... :lol:
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I believe that you can get to it from behind the panel in the trunk. It maybe didn't close b/c there is a black piece of metal that acts as a spring that hold tension on the gas door when closed and pops it open when you pull the lever.
After you get the lock put back try getting someone to pull the lever while you watch the gas door "lock". If it is operating properly then try adjusting the gas door "spring". It will bend and might have gotten bent out of shape. Try carefully bending it a bit to see if it helps pop the door open. Bend the metal "spring" in small amounts so that you don't overbend it and crease the metal.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Being located on the side and not the top of the gas cap cover is a bit of a design flaw. Once you've got things set right as per Pat's instructions. Try applying a good lithium spray lube on the retractable locking pin. Make sure you work it in completely. Moisture, ice, snow and whatever does collect in there and that locking pin will nedd to be cleaned and lubed regularly to prevent further jamming.

The filler lid opener is accessable through the inside cargo compartment. The cable from the drivers side is similar to a bicycle cable that has a tubular metal end piece that fits into the door lid opener mechanism.
Go to the online shop manual from the homepage and go to section "S". Filler door info is on page S-016.
g/l
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
breenmachine

Post by breenmachine »

Thanks a lot guys, I'm glad its not gone for good, not that important but little things like that bug me.
breenmachine

Post by breenmachine »

Man those side panels are a b---- to get off. Can someone give me a quick explanation how or point to to a guide on how to tear apart an mx3. Im usually good with stuff like this but never worked with cars before and don't want to break any of that plastic which I probably came pretty close to doing today. THanks.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

You've got to be serious!!! I searched and gave you the exact section and page of the online manual days ago and you're still unable to determine how the panel comes off?

Fold rear seat down.
Remove seatbelt/rear drivers side speaker housing.
Remove locking plugs on rear panel closest to side panel.
Do same for rear passenger panel.
Pull back rear carpet.
Remove all side panel locking plugs.

Don't know what the snag could be. You're going to have to give more details other than saying you almost broke panels. You realize that the plastic retainers have a centre section that pops up before you can pull that retainer out right?
Let us know one way or another. You don't want to be breaking plastic pieces.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

Same problem with mine.. i've just began to accept the fact that it's gonna be a bastard in the winter haha... good thing I store mine for the winter months. But I'm told that if you put a little bit of household 3-1 oil around the base of the black stem that holds the door shut.. you should have the problem solved!
Ive been banned for moronic childish behavior.
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

i feel kinda like an idiot like napoleon dynomite or something i am pulling up to fuel and then i pull the lever and run out of my car to the fuel door then i hear a tiny click and run back and pull the lever again run to the fuel door again and hear a stupid click again and i just repeat. maybe some du-ba-u-d-40 will work
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

heres an idea though they have a lock de-icer and lubricant in a little canister at wal-mart™ and it looks like pepper spray anyways maybe that will work on that stupid little knob

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”