MX-3 This Winter

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
mx34u2nv

Post by mx34u2nv »

i still drive an mx3 in the snow, just drive my rs......let the gsr sleep for a bit.........
Full fx designs body kit, Apex lowering springs tokico struts, walbro fuelpump, klze, 17" sachhi wheels, b'm short throw shifter, ractive frount and rear tower bars, kl36 ecu. all for sale....pending
suffocated

Post by suffocated »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Anyone should be able to manage just fine with all-seasons, I used to, until i bought my Mx-3, it came with a set of snows tires and rims. I took them off in April and we had anthoer snow storm, I couldn't believe the difference between them and the all seasons, I was sold on them since, and actually have snows on the 626 now. My dad was doing alot of reasearch cause he eventually got them for the Escape, and basically 1)there is very little different between the cheapest and most expensive snow tires the cheapest ones and 2) The cheapest snow tires perform significant't better than any type of all seasons.
i back that up entirely! i had a set of snows back when i first bought my mx3 and after they wore out i used all seasons. BIG BIG BIG difference. and they were some crap motomaster snows too! i only stick to all seasons now because of $$$ reasons... other than that, GET SNOWS IF YOU CAN!
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

and remember that snow tires are only more expensive immediately....ya you havta go get a second set of tires b4 u would otherwise....but because theyre being used half as much, they last twice as long...so it ends up being about even in the long run (and less cuz u go careening off the road less so dont havta spend as much on bodywork) :)
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

front tires snows, back tires all seasons :) fun for drifting!!! :)

Last edited by kp2t on December 17th, 2005, 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

I threw my steelies with snows on finally a couple days ago, good timing I'd say hehe.

And yes, any snows are better than none, my gsr is a year round car so its not getting any special treatment just cause its winter :P A little rustproof and undercoat and its alllll good.
Slade

Post by Slade »

[quote="kp2t"]front tires snows, back tires all seasons :) fun for drifting!!! :)

Exact same as my car lol. Khumo snows on the front and brand new all seasons on the back. Car is even the same color and same rims lol.
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

those are my ugly winter rims lol.... 5 star 96-gs rims summer
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I prefer those ove the stock 5 spoke
neumann

Post by neumann »

Trevor wrote:I prefer those ove the stock 5 spoke
me too

If i ever decide to run my MX-3 in the summer, i will leave the winter tires on the stock GS spoke rims and buy something nicer.

But rims seem to be a very personal thing. The wheels in that pic of the red MX-3 slightly resemble the Porsche Phone Dials which are also a love em or hate em deal. I love em, but even then they were my winter rims when I drove my Pcar in the winter.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

kp2t wrote:front tires snows, back tires all seasons :) fun for drifting!!! :)
It's not really drifting in a FWD...
95 240sx S14 - Yes, I go Sideways
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

i'd say, if the back end swings around and ya take corners sideways.....that'd b drifting. only diff is that we're using the benefit of less friction instead of more power to the back....same result
RTT

Post by RTT »

well my car is broken and the plates arent updated and it needs an etest so ill b storing it til the spring! it looks nice in the garage with no snow on it......its waiting for dry pavement to let loose tho......it mite come out near the end of winter to go to the shop for the last upgrade but im not sure yet....still thinking about it!

til then its public transit for me!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Deimos wrote:i'd say, if the back end swings around and ya take corners sideways.....that'd b drifting. only diff is that we're using the benefit of less friction instead of more power to the back....same result
Yes and know...but I've argued this many times, and the only type of true drifting a FWD car can do is a 4-wheel drift....a true drift is throttle controlled slide. Snow drifting for FF drivers is in the same category as tray sliding. What we do is just basically a-- dragging.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

^^^
Thank you Mike!

And we could only do a 4wheel drive on a downhill or with a LOT of speed. Plus it's the hardest drift to do along with Dynamic.

If you countersteered while giving gas in a FWD car while drifting, you'd spin out in sec.
95 240sx S14 - Yes, I go Sideways
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

funny how a joke can get so technical

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”