Intermittant Ignition Illumination

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
eman

Intermittant Ignition Illumination

Post by eman »

Can anyone suggest a cause and repair for an intermittant Ignition illumination light issue?
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. A possible short perhaps?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Your talking at the key?

Just take the shroud off the steering column (3 or 4 screws from the bottom) and have a look at the lamp. Could just be a dodgy connection. If it is just pulling it out and wiggling it about might fix it. The lamp / lampholder would definitely be the weak point of the circuit.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

it goes off after about 3 mintutes or so i THINk..
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
eman

ignition illumination issue

Post by eman »

per last post, I got to the cable/light. I tried wiggling , and still cannot get light to work.. can the bulb be changed ? It looks like the light is a permanent bulb. how does one go about fixing . In the drak it is hard to locate ignition swithch with out the light. It use to work , then became intermitant now it won't work at all.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You can change the bulb ok. It should just pull out.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
eman

Thankkz on bulb

Post by eman »

Do I have to go to the dealer for this bulb or can I get it at any Parts store? Is it possible for there to be a short in the wire, without a short showing up somewhee else.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

do your interior lights come on when you open the door (set to auto)?

i cut the wire in this circuit cos i was sick of the chimes, but it means the int light, ign light, and headlight on warning doesn't work either, so....., if none of these are working then it could be the contacts on the door are rooted?
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Aston Wards wrote:do your interior lights come on when you open the door (set to auto)?

i cut the wire in this circuit cos i was sick of the chimes, but it means the int light, ign light, and headlight on warning doesn't work either, so....., if none of these are working then it could be the contacts on the door are rooted?
Or the relay for those chimes/interior lights or the timer itself for the key ignition light.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
eman

reply to interior lights

Post by eman »

all interioir lights work except the ignition illuminaton. I have accessed light, wiggled cable, no light ..possible Short or dead bulb. although light use to inttermittantly work.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”