If I removed the distributer, would I need to time it or

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

If I removed the distributer, would I need to time it or

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

There is a hose that is leaking coolant and the distributer is sort of in my way along with the air filter elbow.
Anyway, there is a thing that secures the hose from slipping off but I can really snap it around the hose because of the disty

Anyway, if I was to remove my disty, would I have to time it or something?
Anyone got advice when it comes to removing the disty?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

If you're using the same disty just mark its position with a sharpie before you move it.

If you have not checked the timing in a long while it's probably a good idea to check it anyway. Make sure you follow procedure outlined in the online SRM.

Good luck.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

You dont even need to mark it. Just un bolt the two bolts that hold the thing inplace slide it off. And when ur done put it back in. It will set back in where it left off. Sumtimes its kinda hard to get the little thing to line up but it only goes one way. There like a little notch in th edisty shaft and a valley in the cam that the notch sits in (or maybe the other way around, i usually take th ecap off and turn the rotor with my finger which turns the shaft...once th eshafts gets to the rigth position it will snap in if ur pushing on it.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

If the disty is not placed in the same spot it was in before moving it, the base timing will change and will be out of spec. Thefore I recommend marking the disty housing so it can be bolted in the same spot in reference to the engine as marked before it's moved.

XxantwawnxX: you are correct about the disty shaft only goes in one way.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mark where ther disty s and take a l,ook at where its pointed./.. i removd mine so many times and replaced... it only has one position lets say up or down, the ecu automatically adjusts timing, just leave it half ways where mostly everyone has it or mark where its at.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Then why is there a base timing procedure in the SRP?
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

If the disty is put on with no EXTREME change in postiion(and i mean extreme) the computers figures everything out by itself. Ive changed my disty prolly more than anyting other part in my car, i know.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

OK..I agree with that, but it's more precise if it's marked and it only takes a few extra moments.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Yea but its actually not needed simply because you really need to try hard to get it to change timing (move it WAY away from its original pos) ive had my disty on with no bolts with the motor running, and ive turned it alot both ways and it alwasy fixes it self. Buuuut being safe is alwasy sumthing good to practice so mark it if you wish..it will not hurt anything.

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

The way i mark it goes as such. I eyeball the position of th etop sparkplug wireconnections on the cap (while wires are gone). and just make sure that there in the general same ballpark position when i get the shafts locked again. Has worked for me 4 times not counting when i took it off to do swaps.

FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Sorry to hijack your thread Juans_93_MX3. It's best if you mark the disty trust me. :)

XxantwawnxX wrote:Yea but its actually not needed simply because you really need to try hard to get it to change timing (move it WAY away from its original pos) ive had my disty on with no bolts with the motor running, and ive turned it alot both ways and it alwasy fixes it self. Buuuut being safe is alwasy sumthing good to practice so mark it if you wish..it will not hurt anything.
XxantwawnxX: With all due respect, I do not agree with you on your post and I think you're missing the point. The base timing does not readjust unless the disty is moved. What you are referencing is the ECU compensating for changes which is what it is programmed to do.

The ECU is programmed to adjust timing for all operating loads, ranges and conditions but it only performs this task correctly (for all ranges not just at idle) from a specified reference point, which has to be set manualy. This point is referenced as "base timing." To adjust and reference this reading the ECU must be placed in service mode and then set per specified engine spec. Moving the didty 1/4 inch will vary the timing by at aprox 3°

BTW I'm sure Mazda would not go through the effort to print it in their Shop Repair Manual (SRM) nor pay dealers to perform this procedure if it was not necessary.

Hope this helps.

OK... I'm stepping of the podium now.
Last edited by FlyVFR on December 11th, 2005, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

very well said :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I dont think i said base timing in that post once. Im still correct also. You just said th esame thing with more words...and in a more detailed presentable way. You dont have to adjust base timing if you take the disty off ad put it back on. Moving the disty while not in dianostic mode does nothing, like i said.(unless you go past a certain point like i mentioned...as far as i know)

I have changed my disty sooo many times. I never had any problems afterwards. (performance wise or other) So i guess i just got lucky the numerous times ive replaced/changed my disty?
Last edited by XxantwawnxX on December 11th, 2005, 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that was also very well said..both of you are correct in a way. If car is not in diag mode timing does nothing..i confirmed this with a timing light when i was checking my timing. Its at 10 degrees.. when its not in diag mode..timing stays at 10 degrees, when in diag mode it changes as you turn the disty around. It can be all the way up or down wont do anything, sometimes it does afectit for some reason.. i take the disty off and on almost everyday because of poblems i had and timign was not affected as long as you det it back to the right position m(the rotor) :)
-hec

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Yeah, man glad to know i was not going crazy. : P

Oh and Juans_93_MX3 if your confused by all this banter, just mark it anyway. Just know that you dont need to if your not in service mode. Point is that you have a very very LOW chance of messing anything up.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”