PAYPAL SCAM BEWARE!

Off-Topic Discussions
hgallegos915

PAYPAL SCAM BEWARE!

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok I got an email from "service@paypal.com" i believe..anywho its a spoof.. its an email stating that yopu just sent 300 and something dollars to omega.com.. ITS FAKE looks SO real the wesites look real.. always go to paypal.com directly and chech your payment history. I provided my password (idiot me) but i Immediatelly changed it when i sawe they were asking fopr my credit card, social security, security code ... fake.. i reported it to paypal. Please be adviced and advice peers!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've gotten it too and also found it was a scam. Luckily I asked Paypal before I entered their site.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

Mine stated that I had a new account member signed up on my account. I went through my paypal account and found that the only member listed was me. It truly angers me that there seems to be so many scam artists in this word.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Never input your account info ( name and password ) when you get such emails. Simply forward scam emails to spoof @ paypal.com
Last edited by FlyVFR on December 4th, 2005, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Here is a link to PayPal's site on how to spot fake or spoofed emails.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... of-outside
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

wtf...u n00blets lol.

Its simple to figure out if its a scam. I get about 5 emails a day from fake ebay or fake paypal, and even some online banks that I don't evne have an account with!

Just mouse-over the link in the email, if it says "xxx.xx.xx/paypallogin.asp" or some other IP address then its fake!

If it says ANYTHING BUT "https://www.paypal.com/xxxxxxxx" it is fake.

And pretty much any email you get saying "paypal account added", "ebay suspension notice" "ebay powerseller status confirmed" or something is FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another way to easily tell they are fake. You'll click the link, it'll take you to a fake site that looks real. No matter what email & pword you enter, it'll ALWAYS say "login information incorrect, please try again", and ask that you enter it AGAIN.

Why? Because they want to be 100% sure you didn't typo your name or password. Once you enter it again correctly it'll take you to some ludicrous page asking for your farkin SSN, back account number, PIN number, and all this stupid s--- that no one with half a brain would/should give anyone.

Beware of this s--- tho, they will fark you in the A if you are stupid enough to enter your info. My mom had her ebay account stolen & someone listed a motorcycle using it and ebay called her and asked if itw as legit and she was like 'wtf, i've neve rsold anything before on ebay" and they had to close her account & she had to start another one from scratch.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

I would not even click on any such links. Depending on the victims operating system and it's associated vulnerabilities, you never know what spayware, trojans and other "malware" one may catch once you land on the web site. The best thing to do is forward the email to the proper party then delete it off your system.

Gro, You're mostly right about the secure protocol "https" but keep in mind that mouse over links can be programmed to show whatever address is in the HTML code to hide the destination address even further. Luckily most do not but some hackers take that extra step.

Sorry to hear about your mom's eBay account. I hope eBay caught the farker(s)
Last edited by FlyVFR on December 9th, 2005, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

ur right, u can mask the link to show up as the proper paypal link at the bottom of IE's browser

i use firefox so that s--- doesn't work.

But the majority of them don't even go the extra step to use it.

BTW: another easy way to tell if they are fake..the top of the message will say something like "Dear Paypal User", instead of "Dear Wil" or "Dear Gro Harlem" or whatever your name is on paypal.

Same with ebay "Dear Ebay User", they'll address you by your userID "Dear groharlem"

If it doesn't address you by your name, point over and click the BELEATE button :)
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Yes, PayPal and eBay will always communicate by including account holder's full name.

Most email spoofs are undeniably low tech stuff and targeted to take advantage of the general computer population.

BTW, I tried Firefox a while back. As I remember, it reminded me of a homebrewed desktop ap. It worked mostly OK, but it lacked refinements and options. Also did not work well on some web sites because it ignores standard code like the mouseover funtion for instance. But then again, I'm a long term hardcore IE fan, which openly reveals a little bias :)

:2thumbsup: In general I agree, those are some ways to "can the SPAM"
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
DizzeeRascal

Post by DizzeeRascal »

Gro Harlem wrote: If it doesn't address you by your name, point over and click the BELEATE button :)
HELP!! I CANT FIND MY BELEATE BUTTON!!!!

:lol:
j/k

<3
...like a fat kid on a smartie
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Thanks for the heads up
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

I have been getting ebay and paypal messages for the last 2 wks ... one person saying that I haven't paid them ...

I have never used either.

So I went to the EBay site and asked them what's going on.

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
Meep

Post by Meep »

All that crap ends up in my bulk mail... -delete-
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i got the same email....but i use my aol for that so when i got over the mail the link pops up in a bubble...of what the acutall link is

it goes to paylol.com
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i still receive paypal emails at least once a day.

funny thing is they send the emails to my ebays email account, an account I set up exclusively for ebay and have NOT given out to anyone for anything.

HOw the FAKKKKKKKKKK are spamming scamming a-holes getting the email of my ebay account (i have it as hidden on my preferences)? I have reason to believe ebay sells your personal information to these jerk-offs & truly doesn't care if you are being scammed. They are probably in on it seeing how they own paypal & can just "deny" your claim.

I don't even have a paypal account with that email address. The scammers just assume there is one since that email is under my ebay account.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Off-Topic”