Problem with block heater?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Jarago

Problem with block heater?

Post by Jarago »

Our mx-3 starts great when its not cold out. Now that its much colder (-20C right now) even when the car is plugged in, it's not starting well...as if it wasn't plugged in at all. Last year it worked fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys
GoneAmok
Supporting Member

Post by GoneAmok »

Considering that it was fine last year, a few ideas/suggestions:

1) Make sure that your block heater is actually working. Should hear some fizzling/gurgling from the engine block shortly after it is plugged in.

2) Make sure that your battery is still in good shape (if it is getting 'tired', it may not have sufficient power to turn the engine over when it gets cold outside).

3) I found that synthetic oil made a huge difference (I live in Ottawa - gets down to -30's C in the dead of winter). Since going with synthetic, my MX-3 starts with relative ease even when I forget (i.e., too lazy) to plug it in.

4) I'm assuming that you have 5W30 in your car and not a 'thicker' summer oil (like 10W30 or something to that effect)...

5) Pray for a 4 month continuous chinook... LOL

I hope that this proves to be of some assistance.
Jarago

Post by Jarago »

5) Pray for a 4 month continuous chinook... LOL

awesome...lol, I wish

the guy I work with used to be a mechanic...he told me some things it could be before I read this reply, so we brought out an ohm reader, and foudn out it was the cord itself, so I'll buy another block heater and just use the cord it looks like. Thanks anyways tho :)
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

GoneAmok wrote: 4) I'm assuming that you have 5W30 in your car and not a 'thicker' summer oil (like 10W30 or something to that effect)...
Lol, I am still running 10W30, gets down to 0 degree F here. That is only due to my Piston rings going though.... The piston rings don't like me...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”