Should I go to Mazda?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cdngrl420

Should I go to Mazda?

Post by cdngrl420 »

I know im goin to sound like a newbie and thats cause I pretty much am but my question is I have a funny ticking noise comin from somewhere near the front of my car and a grinding noise from the hood area I know what the grinidng noise is so im not too worried but the ticking is driving me nuts and im worried it may be my engine because it only does it when I hit the gas. I just had my oil changed someone said it may be my cam shaft but its not so anyways my question is if I take it to mazda and stick it on the computer or however they diagnose it will it tell me everything wrong with the car or how does that work because mazda wants like 120 bucks to do this and if the ticking is just something loose then it wont be the only thing ticking. So basically after all the useless rambling all I want to know is if its worth going to mazda because I want to know EVERYTHING thats wrong or is going to go in the next few months on my car, its a 94 rs so I dont know if they scan codes or whatever since I can only find code readers for 96+
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

sounds like mazda infamas ticking sound problay due to low oil pressure. a pissing off sound i used a liquid called valuemedic u can find it at a auto store like $3.00 i think. it comes and it goes i won't waste $120.00 on that ticking noise. most mazda engine's get that. my sohc had it and my bro v6 MX-6.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Focal

Post by Focal »

you could try using a heavy oil to stop the sound if it is the lifters
Shades

Post by Shades »

Your lifters are worn and have tarnished (oil starts to become baked on the sides of the lifters)... you are right not to take it to Mazda and get charged for something you don't need.

You can try put some of this stuff called EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) that you can get from any GM dealer. What this does is slowly remove some of the tarnish on the sides of the lifters that cause the ticking...

BUT let me remind you that you won't totally get rid of the ticking unless you replace the lifters and they're $40/each and you need 16 for your DOHC.

Putting heavier oil is not good, in my opinion... I run with 5W-30, a thinner oil so that the lifters get oil faster and cause less drag and wear.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

Ok so im not getting 16 new lifters at 40 a pop especially right before xmas im going to see if the oil change did something because the tickin didnt start until a delayed oil change :oops: and for xmas im asking for a new air filter and ill do a really early oil change maybe after 2 k this time putting in synth oil rather then the usual 10-30 as well hopefully this will solve the problem if not I would rather start saving for an engine swap then pay 700 bucks lifters. The car needs a major tune up argh winter hasnt even fully started my cars going to sound like a mac truck is coming before spring hits! I think a trip to the mechanics is in order anyway for a tune up and some other little stuff the guy I go to has yet to charge me over 20 bucks for any work done to my car but i guess after i managed to catch my car on fire he feels pity for me haha, k so i have a second question now if I buy all my parts for a tune up will a shop to do them or will they only install their stuff because I would rather spend extra money for better quality parts and I don't know if this shop will carry them or whatever since its a small shop.

Last question if anyone thinks this may be in a FAQ just tell me that and dont answer all my questions ill search the forum, but what else should I get changed when I go in for a tune up other then like the spark plugs, oils and filters like I beat my engine up a little when I had it real close to over heating a couple times and I want to do as much as I can to help fix or at least help the engine from crapping out anymore then it may be, as well any advice my second gear is really really stiff especially when the car is first started and when its real cold it makes a really bad crunching noise and then when the car heats up the crunching noise and the effort to throw it in second is made easier but there still seems to be friction or it kinda feels liek its rubbing against a passage i dunno at times I think if may pop out of second my mechanic told me its normal wear and tear is there anything I can buy to help make it from getting worse because I might be out a gear in the next few months at the rate things are going.
sk8erdude28

Post by sk8erdude28 »

holy crap. punctuation is your friend :)

well you could do
oik
oil filter
air filter
PCV valve
spark plugs
wire
cap
rotor
coil
tranny flush
coolant flush
maybe run some engine cleaner through it

my car ticks REALLY bad too. this morning I'm taking it in to my mechanic to get the oil pressure checked.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I'd rather go 5W-30 than 10W-30... the oil is thinner and gets to the lifter faster when starting your car.

I highly doubt synthetic is gonna solve your ticking problem... you should really try the recommended dose of EOS. I'd even try the Higher Mileage oil over synthetic... you thought lifters were expensive, try comparing synthetic to regular oil. :?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
sk8erdude28

Post by sk8erdude28 »

Shades wrote:I'd rather go 5W-30 than 10W-30... the oil is thinner and gets to the lifter faster when starting your car.

I highly doubt synthetic is gonna solve your ticking problem... you should really try the recommended dose of EOS. I'd even try the Higher Mileage oil over synthetic... you thought lifters were expensive, try comparing synthetic to regular oil. :?

mewh. higher mileage doesn't really do much (well it didn't in my case) I've used it since I got my EGT. I took my car to the shop to get the oil pressure checked. around 50 PSI at idle. Me and my mechanic finally broke down and put in some engine cleaner. Ticks for like two seconds now then goes away.

Try it out.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”