Why are some people againts Twin Turbo setups?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
popsicle

Post by popsicle »

Twins are better to some extent like already stated. however most anyone with a Twin setup eventually swaps to a single because overall there's potential for more power and a host of other advantages- IT can be done but the benefits will not be worth it. for example( take a look at a Z32 TT engine bay next time you have a chance) if you have worked on them you'd know how much of a pain it is to work on the turboes and the other stuff. you have to jack the car 95% of the time. and the engine bay is cramped more than a "immigrant boat from cuba"(paraphrasing from how my z32 ethusiasts refer to it)

so all in all. yes can be done. will be a mess, and alot of custom fabbing in pipe routing and tolerances in making everything fit in such a tight space. i'm not sure if the probe chassis might have more space in the engine bay.

Regards.
Des.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

mx3gsr wrote:
BuGS wrote:Honestly, I would look into getting the Stock Twins from a 3rd gen RX7. Do that with Water Injection, with short IC piping and you would be set!!!

BTW: RX7 13B's are suppose to put out as much Exhaust as a 2.6L V6 would so I would think that the 2.5L would be a PERFECT setup.
3rd gen RX-7 twins aren't usable on any car other than rotary, they're goofy OEM application specific housings. Google it, you'll see what I mean. Forget the idea of using twins from an RX-7 or Supra. Trust me.

The long story short is that it's enough of a PITA to do a single install on this platform, trying to do a twin install in a small engine bay is just a recipe for frustration. Even a "big" turbo on a 2.5L motor is going to be small enough that spooling shouldn't a big problem, thus nullifying the arguement that twins would be "better".

Sometimes there is a good reason why there is a path not travelled...

Few benefits + massive PITA + costs doubling = the reason why there are no twin turbo MX-3s out there.
not to flame or anything, but Bugs and his brother are Rotary freaks. and he knows what hes talking about. the 13B puts out about as much air flow as a 2.5 to 2.6L piston driven motor. so this is why he suggested putting them onto a 2.5 V6 especially if it was a ZE as the higher comp would make spoolup real fun!! and if your doing a full custom setup it not much work to mod thoes turbos on.

as far as a twin setup vs a single. the single will always be better, BUT that all depends on your turbo size. its all in what your really looking for. do you want a super fast responce from your turbo, or do you want to wait for it to kick in. because if you run 2 T3/T4's then obvously your going to have alot more lag then if you were to run 1 to get to the same PSI.
mx3gsr

Post by mx3gsr »

BuGS wrote: And For the Guy who said you can't use Twin turbo's off of a 3rd gen, I wish you lived here. There is a guy running a 2.6L V6 Bronco 2 with RX7 Twins. Just because they are OEM specific housing doesn't mean you can't use them. He works at an exhaust shop and made a custom manifold. And like I said before, the 13b's put out as much exhaust as a 2.6L V6 would. So although is it specific for the rotary, it doesn't mean it can't be used elsewhere...
Please tell me how he managed that, and WHY. Or post a picture. In fact, please post a picture of any non-rotary car running OEM RX-7 FD chassis twin turbos.

I think you're confused, and the guy actually used single turbos out of earlier gen RX-7s. But feel free to prove me wrong, I'd love to see this custom install.

1992 MX-3 GS-R 2.5L Turbo - retired 2001 :(
13.8@107mph
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

mx3gsr wrote:
BuGS wrote: And For the Guy who said you can't use Twin turbo's off of a 3rd gen, I wish you lived here. There is a guy running a 2.6L V6 Bronco 2 with RX7 Twins. Just because they are OEM specific housing doesn't mean you can't use them. He works at an exhaust shop and made a custom manifold. And like I said before, the 13b's put out as much exhaust as a 2.6L V6 would. So although is it specific for the rotary, it doesn't mean it can't be used elsewhere...
Please tell me how he managed that, and WHY. Or post a picture. In fact, please post a picture of any non-rotary car running OEM RX-7 FD chassis twin turbos.

I think you're confused, and the guy actually used single turbos out of earlier gen RX-7s. But feel free to prove me wrong, I'd love to see this custom install.

He took the headers made it so 3 would go to the smaller turbo then 3 goes to the larger turbo. He has the smaller turbo set to 6psi and the larger one set to 10psi. Then he has the two sides set up with Snorkels going into each turbo then the outlets run to one pipe that goes to the TB. For what it is, it isn't hard....

The turbo has one exit for the exhaust and 1 wastegate. Then he has the other one just venting the the atmoshere so he didn't have to run it back into the exhaust.

Ya it isn't the most sensable setup, but the Turbo is built for 2.6L V6 exhaust, build specifically for that amount. Thats why it would be a really goo setup for a 2.5L V6.... And since you can get these twins for around $150 from RX7 owners (If you have friends and the 3rd gen guy is cool) then it is a real easy/really awesome setup.

And if you knew anything you would realize that the 3rd gen twins are cool because it is two different sized turbos. So you get the output of a huge turbo but you have the small one so you have no lag.

And the turbo has been located to under the passenger seat. He put it there because it is for racing...

BTW I am not gonna go ask the guy if I can go to his house to take a picture of the Bronco. Mostly cause he is a hickish type guy and for me to pretty much say "Ya a guy called total BS on my internet forum, so I need pictures" sounds really gay to anyone that doesn't use the internet...
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

btw ROPE on here as a twin T k8, he doesn't post a lot though.

I think space wise, TT would be better, it's the exhaust that's taking the whole place in there. TT would have less exhaust tubing in the engine bay IMO
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

I think there is much less call for twin-turbo setup, simply because the latest generation turbos are so much more efficient

but, i also agree with babyblue, if you got the exhaust right, it mightn't be so bad? still, it'd be craploads of work! :welder:

wasn't there a kabillion bhp KLZE in Australia running twins a while back?
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yup klze TT RWD probe
yummy !
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

babyblueMX3 wrote:yup klze TT RWD probe
yummy !

If you could find pics of it again post em up. I lost my whole collection when my last computer desided to go out on me (HD went then as it was going a motherboard circuit overheated igniting the Dust on it... was the weirdest thing)

Return to “Forced Induction”