Small Electrical Fire. Now Speedo and lights won't work.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mazda_Power

Small Electrical Fire. Now Speedo and lights won't work.

Post by Mazda_Power »

The "fire" was in the driver's fender body loom. I repaired the melted wires. The headlights and speedo doesn't work now. I don't understand why the speedo doesn't work, that runs off the engine harness. There was a bunch of arcing... anyone?
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Speedo - ???? That's odd. I thought the RS speedo was mechanical and not electrical like the GS. You didn't mention how or why the fire started. What type/make/brand of headlight bulbs are you using? What's the wattage ratings (high/low) for the bulbs?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I think the 94+ RSs are electrical too. Anyway, I'm sure with all that arking you burned up some of the acutal parts, not just the wiring. You need to trace the circuit with a 12volt tester and find out where the power stops running. That will be the part that needs to be replaced. It will take some time to find, good luck.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

The arcing/fire started (I think) from having no fender liners. Rocks wore away at the harness until a couple wires were exposed. The Speedo is electric. The headlights are OEM wattage.
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Also radio keeps reading ERR (for error I assume). It never did this when the battery was unplugged before. Also I have the DIN removal tools and I still can't get it out! I have a replacement '97 MPV radio. :)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”