Winter Rims Sizes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Big D

Winter Rims Sizes

Post by Big D »

Ok here's my question. I have a GS with the stock 15's on it....I have someone with a set of 14's (195/60/r14) X-Ice on steel wheels, is it a bad idea to go smaller? I know the speedo will be out, but what are side effects? If I dont have to pay for winter's would be ideal :D .

D
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

Wow, people make way to big a deal about the spedo being off when they change rim size... you'd have to put big a-- truckin tires or little tricycle wheels on there to want consider your spedo being inaccurate.

I rode on smaller tires than that last winter, freebees are always great! as long as the bolt pattern is the same i'd go for it without a doubt
1993 RS Teal
neumann

Smaller rims

Post by neumann »

If you don't have issues with clearing brake calipers, i don't see the problem. I would however get a higher profile tire on the 14s to achieve a similar overall diameter. Either way +/- 3% is no big deal.

do a google search for tire size calculator and you can see how by going up a series or so in profile, you can compensate for the smaller diameter rim.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I believe that going smaller doesn't make that much of a difference... like 1-3 km/h. WOO! You're gonna be driving slower in the winter anyhoo so it really doesn't matter.

PLUS for clearance... you shouldn't have ANY problem at all. As long as they are 4x100 bolt pattern, you should be good to go.

Just my 2 cents, don't hold me against it.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”