speedometer not working... what should I check ?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fir3

speedometer not working... what should I check ?

Post by fir3 »

The speedometer of my car isn't working...
Yesterday, everything was fine. Today I was driving and I realized the speedo wasn't working...
What should I check ?
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

check the plug on your speedo at the tranny and well if not check your altenator and make sure its charging. when my altenator was going the speedo was the first thing to go, then the tach then the lights.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Depends...

If yours is cable driven(92-93), check that the cable is still in one piece.

If it's electical (94+), you may want to take it somewhere and have it looked at if you are not comfortable diagnosing the problem.
fir3

Post by fir3 »

My car is '97...
Are there any fuses or something I could check first?
fir3

Post by fir3 »

My car is '97...
Are there any fuses or something I could check first?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The best place to start is have a look at the speed sensor. Check that the wires going to it look ok, and if they do, pull it out and have a look at it.

I'm not sure where its located (Iwould have assumed on the transmission somewhere but the wire colours going to it are:
RED / BLUE
GREY
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
fir3

Post by fir3 »

Last night it was working, today it`s not...
I think it could something electrical...
It`s difficult to reach the speed sensor on transmission, isn`t it ?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yea good chance its electrical. The speedo works via 2 wires from the cluster to the sensor.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Last night it was working, today it`s not...
I think it could something electrical...
It`s difficult to reach the speed sensor on transmission, isn`t it ?
I had the same thing happen to me (I have a 95 mtx). I had to take off the intake (near the throttle area), directly below it was a snap connecter that had become disconnected, the other end went into the tranny. Plugged it back in, problem solved.

Your probly is just loose, and it's just a quick 5 min check. If you have an automatic I'm not sure where it plugs into the tranny, but i'm sure its in roughly the same area.
fir3

Post by fir3 »

could you post a photo ? I tried to find but the only thing I find was the horn wire...
By snap plug you mean those plugs like the ones plugged into MAF or TPS ?
fir3

Post by fir3 »

fir3 wrote:could you post a photo ? I tried to find but the only thing I find was the horn wire...
By snap plug you mean those plugs like the ones plugged into MAF or TPS ?
???
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Sorry, been too busy to snap a shot of it, i'll try to describe it the best I can. Take the intake off at the throttle body (unscrew the ring piece that holds it on, wiggle the intake off). Move it aside. Directly below it (way down) on the transmision (the huge metal thing that looks like a funnel) are 2 wires running together (I think they are grey), they pass though your standard snap connectors (also grey) and into the giant funnel (your tranny). If thats not enough I'll try to get a picture up online. The online shop manual is always a good tool too.
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

its easy to access it from the bottom of the car.
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

hi...its your speed sencor...bet you ten bucks....have it put in dont do it yourself cuz it may have a code that needs to be unlocked after installation for it to work.....seriously id bet a lot on that..if your needles going on and off up and down and out of control and your tranny sometimes shifts hard thats what it is. bubye
fir3

Post by fir3 »

The needle doesn't even move...
shift is ok...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”