Car Problems?

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
RTT

Car Problems?

Post by RTT »

ok heres the situation.....

I was driving home 3 days ago and the car started off driving fine but then when i slowed down to come to a red light i noticed that the RPMs were way below where they should b and the car seemed very unstable as if it was about to stall, and the check engine light came on. so to prevent the car from stalling i would keep pressing on the gas to increase the rpms (reving the engine). I did this for about 10kms until i got home. It will start fine and be ok for a few mins of driving but after that the light comes on and it starts to stall again.

i tried putting a higher octane fuel in to see if that would help but it did nothing and the problem continued.

I have had a friend come out and look at the car and he is now looking for a set of scannign codes i thin khe said that they need to be OBD1 for a 1994 mx-3. it cant be the obdII.

And if anyone has any thoughts as to what the problem mite be please make a post.

Thanks,
Rob
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Could be disty problems Rob.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Vacuum leak?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

leak in the intake tubing?
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. The stock intake boot is known to crack and leak over time, seems to be a common thing now with MX-3s getting older now.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

and those are the exact simptoms you get w/ a cracked intake tube. quick fix - wrap it in duct tape (i was like that all summer, works well). then go to a junkyard and get another one for like $15
RTT

Post by RTT »

where is the intake boot and whats this vacuum thing? obviously i dont kno much about engines....?....

tnx for the help tho
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

u know that accordian tube that's pretty much right beside the battery? (at least it is in the V6s, not sure where in the 4banger). its black and is normally where ppl attatch a cold air intake.
its designed like an accordian cuz its supposed to flex when changing u'r air filter, but after 10-some odd years the plastic doesn't flex anymore and cracks instead, so you end up loosing u'r vaccuum effect and therefore stalls the car.
i bet it'd help him if someone posted a pic of a 4banger engine bay (w/ engine plz) and we can point to where.
RTT

Post by RTT »

Thanks Ian, i think i kno what ur talking about now does the tube connect to the intake with the sensor? if so i know exactly what ur talking bout.

Thanks,
Rob
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

believe so yes, close to the throttle body, its ridged black plastic. if someone with a 4cyl could post a pic or confirm location a bit better i bet it'd help him
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Check for any stored codes since your "check engine" light came on.
Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

So basically your engine is letting in unmetered air and causing it to run LEAN.

Lean=Hot=Bad

A bandit solution will work in this situation but will look like a-- 8)
95 240sx S14 - Yes, I go Sideways
pseudomarine

Post by pseudomarine »

for what it's worth...

i once had problems where my car was cutting out at traffic lights. Other times there'd be a real dip in the revs...red lights would come on....i'd have to rev it higher to keep it from cutting out, and i'd have to press the clutch to avoid crashing into the car in front.

it turned out to be there was a lot of gunge at the bottom of the fuel tank. i got this cleaned (along with the fuel jets) and the problem went away.

this stopped me driving with a near-empty tank from that day on :-)

it just might be something worth checking out.
xinunix

Post by xinunix »

Rob, that was exactly happened to my car (MX3). My sister took it to her mechanic and the guy had charged me $1500-- 1000 for the parts and 500 for the labour.
He said I needed to change the gasket bc the oil was all over and the sparks plug wouldnt work. he also changed the spring too... that was a pretty expensive for the parts. :(. tested the car and seemed to be ok so far and hope it will continue to be ok

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”