voltage stabalizer??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joey's mx

voltage stabalizer??

Post by Joey's mx »

do voltage stabalizers actually work?? Would it be worth buying?? How do they work??
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is a tiny capaciter. The alternator has one in it so adding one can help, but won't do much. If you are trying to fix the dimming lights when you brake or use other accesories a ground wire kit will do more good.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
fir3

Post by fir3 »

What should I have to ground to stop the dimming lights when I brake ?
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I saw an article (I think it was in Super Street) where a voltage stabalizer was added to a stock 03 civic and it made 2-3 hp. Not much, but the added stability to my electrical system would be worth it I think.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

just get an audio capacitor. Same thing

but the best thing to do is find the problem and fix it

Problems
1. Bad alternator battery - or too much of a load on the system (ex. audio components.)
2. Leaking air intake or brake air lines (master cylinder lines. Could be plugged too)
3. Bad grounds (it's an old car, u'd have to do it sooner or later), replace or add with some 4 gauge wire, and proper connectors
4. Bad connections (check light plugs for melting and corrosion)
5. Check for any voltage drops across the board (lights, and any other power consuming components)

Spend some time and fix it - and u will love ur MX-3 even more !!!

and that's the word.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I found this information... I think it's a little more than just a basic stereo cap.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electr ... &pageNum=1

It does a little bit more than just store a spare charge like your cap does. I've always failed to see the point of a cap anyway.

My point is the review I read showed this part to make a minimal amount of power, and that was after they installed a primo ground wire kit. I'll be getting one some day, but til then my re-made grounds are fine for me.
fir3

Post by fir3 »

Those at ebay for USD 30.00 shipped can't do the same "service" like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Apexi-Su ... enameZWDVW
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

That one on ebay looks like the same one I posted a link about... And that's a good price for a genuine Apex'i product. Make sure you check Apex'i's website to make sure they don't have any fraud alerts on it like they had on their SAFC II's. If I had the $30 plus shipping to spend on my car I would order it now but I'm afraid my intake knocked out my car budget for this month lol...

But that looks like the one I had in mind...
fir3

Post by fir3 »

The link I posted isn't the USD 30.00 stabilizers I was talking even the links brings to an ebay auction...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I had heard some of those are "Clones" and not the real thing..you can tell by the way the color of the wiring pattern..i forgot where i read that info.. but thats why i stayed away with the ebay ones.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I still think it is a capacitor.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-15627.cfm

see how they connect it - yep in parrallel, just like a cap.

a cap works by reducing voltage spike loads on a battery (or alternator), when bass or heavy loads hit for just a moment.

see how the "stabalizers" have the same shape as 15 farad capacitors......................................
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

All MX-3s have a voltage drop problem. The only fix is to add a ground wire kit and then maybe a voltage stabalizer. Like I said earlier, the alternator already has a stabalizer in it. Adding one isn't going to make much of a difference.

Also, how did HP gains from a SS issue get into this?? Wooo, I spent 50.00, 3 hours and got 2 HP!!!
For my time, I'll clean out my door jambs, inner fenders and cowl... :roll:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

PATDIESEL wrote: Also, how did HP gains from a SS issue get into this?? Wooo, I spent 50.00, 3 hours and got 2 HP!!!
For my time, I'll clean out my door jambs, inner fenders and cowl... :roll:
I'll have you know it said a 10 min install thank you very much lol :wink:
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

:P You install one and tell me how long it take YOU to do... LOL

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”