colt cams solid lifter cams

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well i may be thinkin wrong but babyblue u said they dont work like they r supposed to at high rpm. if i did do solids could i possibly gain high end power under boost? im thinkin now after all ive been reading a 8000 rev limit :( my dream of the revs id like r gone. so basically if i do 8000 rpm and stick with hla's and nore aggressive cams i would probly have the same effects as solids?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

markmclean wrote:solid lifters are dinosaurs. with the advent of roller cams and hi perf hydraulics, the need for solids has all but gone away. Only if you were running huge HP (like into the several hundreds to thousands) would you need a solid lifter. At those HP outputs, lifter quash becomes an issue, where the lifter collapses under load, binding the springs and valve train. while there may not be a roller setup available now, the hydraulics will work perfectly well for the power gains youre looking at. be sure with whatever cam profile you decide on that the valve springs are rated for the lift. otherwise if they are not stiff enough you can bind them at high rpm. as far as a more aggressive grind? he may be right in stating that the stock cam profile is a tad conservative for optimum power. car makers do this for the sake of overall reliability and fuel economy. The more aggressive cam will improve the torque curve and overall powerband when used with the turbo.hope this helps
OK. Solid lifters are dinosaurs, but Mazda converted all thier cars AWAY from hydraulic lifters in 1998.
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

an economic decision that had little or nothing to do with making the car perform
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

fieromx3 wrote:well i may be thinkin wrong but babyblue u said they dont work like they r supposed to at high rpm. if i did do solids could i possibly gain high end power under boost? im thinkin now after all ive been reading a 8000 rev limit :( my dream of the revs id like r gone. so basically if i do 8000 rpm and stick with hla's and nore aggressive cams i would probly have the same effects as solids?
if sticking at 8k sure you could keep hla's IMO.

A buddy of mine told me the other day that you can mod the stock hla's to make it work at higher rpms. drill the hole half a millimeter more or drill another hole the same size on the opposite side. This way the hla will bleed faster at higher rpms but suppose to have a little clicking noise when cold.

That's maybe the route I'll take I don't care about cold since the car doesn't see it :)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
babyblueMX3 wrote: many people told me solid lifters increase wear on valve train and they have to be reshimed every 30k km or so.
I've got a 2000 626 with solid lifters. 85K miles. No reshimming yet. :shrug:
I was browsing through miata forums when I saw a couple of places that on the 99+ miata (wich used solid lifters) the manual said the lifters have to be checked/reshimed each 60k km. Now I don't know if this is true for all other engines but I would have guess so because it does the same thing and wears the same too.
Just though I'd trow this here
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

Yeah, it's totally true. You have to check the cam-lifter clearance, and adjust lash with shims designed for.

Here's a KLG4 (1998-2002 626 V6) Cam. Notice the different lobe design compared to HLA lobe profile. You can also see the lifter itself.

Last edited by JM1EC-V6 on November 26th, 2005, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

some good info I found about running solid lifters with hydraulic lifter cams :
There's two issues.
1) the solid lifter must be set up with clearance to allow for differential expansion in the valvetrain, so the cam to drive it has an introductory ramp that is long and slowly changing, to pick up the mass of the valvetrain gently. An HLA cam does not provide this "soft pickup" so may be less suitable for use with solid lifter valvetrain.

2) Solid lifter cams are usually used with lighter lifters and springs, so they can have steeper opening ramps (knowing the lower opening forces won't break through the cam face). Heavier HLA valvetrain may lead to excessive forces and wear on a solid lifter cam (though I'm not convinced this is a big issue on OEM Miata cams).
quoted from RodH on forum.miata.net
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

ok all i really wanna know is if i got the proper set-up would i see an increase in power in the low mid or high end? if not then i aint doin it. id probly be better off with hla's and turbo or race grind cams rite?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

if you run solid lfter AND cams yes there's power to be made at higher rpms (8k+) but you would want stiffer springs too to prevent valve float.

Don't forgot that also the solid lifters (mostly shim under bucket) weights a lot less than hla's.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:if you run solid lfter AND cams yes there's power to be made at higher rpms (8k+) but you would want stiffer springs too to prevent valve float.

Don't forgot that also the solid lifters (mostly shim under bucket) weights a lot less than hla's.
thx thats the answer i was lookin for
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”