colt cams solid lifter cams

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fieromx3
Supporting Member

colt cams solid lifter cams

Post by fieromx3 »

ok i was thinkin for my build up that i could switch to solid lifters. i e-mailed geoff at colt cams to ask if he could custom grind some for the solid lifter application. this is what he said
To Duncan,

Thank-you, for contacting us.
Yes, we can custom grind solid profiles.
The cost would depend on size of grind. An approximate cost would be for all 4 cams $750.00 Canadian
my question is what size grind would be good if u know? i dunno i think that might be asking alot for u guys tro answer but yea. i am turboing my kl-de of up to 25psi and am usin for street mostly but entering races for a title. anyone got any ideas? also what is the difference between hla cams and solid lifter cams?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The issue is ramp profiles, not total lift. So a solid lifter profile can still have a .360 lift like alot of the other regrinds, but the UP ramp will be more mild. The DOWN ramp can be just as aggressive as the HLA cams ..... that depends on the valve spring pressure, not the lifter style.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you should just ask Geoff about what size does he recomend. After all he's the cam guy lol, or you could ask Mike Selli too, he grind some (not solid though but he knows his stuff).
a solif lifter is like it sounds it's solid, hla's are hydraulic and compresses with the cam pushing on it, and at higher rpm it does't do it's job correctly because the lack of time.
many people told me solid lifters increase wear on valve train and they have to be reshimed every 30k km or so.

You got high goals for a 17 years old guy :2thumbsup:
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

babyblueMX3 wrote:You got high goals for a 17 years old guy :2thumbsup:
No kidding, i wish I new what he knew when I was 17
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

babyblueMX3 wrote: many people told me solid lifters increase wear on valve train and they have to be reshimed every 30k km or so.
I've got a 2000 626 with solid lifters. 85K miles. No reshimming yet. :shrug:
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

so you're using those heads ?
what cams are inside ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:so you're using those heads ?
what cams are inside ?
I think you misunderstood. My wife's car is a 2000 626 - 4 cylinder. The Mazda 4 cylinders also went to solid lifters in 98 as well as the V6's.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well i got high hopes but i can make it happen lately ive been buyin alot of stuff like not to long ago i bought my engine then a lil later i bought wiseco pistons then i bought a BRIDE steering wheel and last nite i just bought a corbeau forza seat...i guess droppin out of school and getting a full-time job was the smartest thing ive done lol well within 2 weeks i SHOULD have enough money for pauter rods... PZTUNING said 1200 shipped with everything and yea my paycheques i get r gonna be more money.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

fieromx3 wrote:i guess droppin out of school and getting a full-time job was the smartest thing ive done lol
Not unless you got a union job. Otherwise, I'd go back to school if I were you.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
fieromx3 wrote:i guess droppin out of school and getting a full-time job was the smartest thing ive done lol
Not unless you got a union job. Otherwise, I'd go back to school if I were you.
i dunno what a union job is but im in the sheet metal trade. im on with DUNN HEATING AIR CONDITIONING but the trade is sheet metal. im gettin an apprenticeship through it and i got an apprenticeship already for framing houses and got my certificates(fall arrest, first aid, health&safety)

well i e-mailed geoff a few days ago and stll havent gotten a rply from him yet
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

it takes a little bit of time before Geoff answers his emails.
Well it was like that with me at least
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

tell the colt rep what your goals are as far as powerband and finaldrive ratio and he can make a cam profile for you to do what you want..youre interested in lift and duration( how far the valves open and for how long) and cars had solid lifters for years before hydraulic came on the market, the only downside is the "solid lifter tap" or loud tickinng similar to a loud injector tick
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

I confirm: 1998-2002 Mazda 626 V6 has the solid lifter design.

The cams are labelled KLG4 (I don't no if there's a disty groove on the LH Exhaust cam, considering these KL's are disty-less (coil-pack)).

The heads used are the same as the 1993-97 KL's, so they are labelled ''KL-1A1'' (LH) and ''KL-101'' (RH).

KLG4 cam height is 43,549mm (1.7145'')
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

so do u think if i got an I/E cam from that engine do u think itd be easier for geoff to come up with a better high performance cam? if it comes down to the worst i wont do this at all or id just get those cams but i dunno if id gain performance with that. if i did switch to solids would i see an improvemnt in performance over the hlas? or would this only be good for revs or is this just a retarded swap that wont do anything?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

solid lifters are dinosaurs. with the advent of roller cams and hi perf hydraulics, the need for solids has all but gone away. Only if you were running huge HP (like into the several hundreds to thousands) would you need a solid lifter. At those HP outputs, lifter quash becomes an issue, where the lifter collapses under load, binding the springs and valve train. while there may not be a roller setup available now, the hydraulics will work perfectly well for the power gains youre looking at. be sure with whatever cam profile you decide on that the valve springs are rated for the lift. otherwise if they are not stiff enough you can bind them at high rpm. as far as a more aggressive grind? he may be right in stating that the stock cam profile is a tad conservative for optimum power. car makers do this for the sake of overall reliability and fuel economy. The more aggressive cam will improve the torque curve and overall powerband when used with the turbo.hope this helps

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”