Replace valve cover gasket

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kkyin

Replace valve cover gasket

Post by kkyin »

trying to replace the gasket, wonder if I need to drain to oil and coolant before open things up.

Thanks
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

No..., just be careful not to overtighten bolts! :oops:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

And dont forget to use RTV too where the manual calls for it!
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

oh...., also try not to drop anything inside...., like say uh..., a broken piece of distributor! :oops:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

well, heres a tip...go ahead and remove the cover, clean both mating surfaces extremely well, being careful not to drop any debris into the oil passages and reinstall the cover....and change the oil AFTER the jobs done. This way, if any pieces of old gasket material, assorted goop etc did happen to fall in while you lifted the cover off, which is a distinct possibility, itll come out when you change the oil.Any time you open up the engine, its a good idea to change the oil afterwards for this reason.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you drop something into the valve train it will not drain out (pices of gasket etc.). The passages are too small and in the corners only. Make sure NOT to drop anything in there. That is the only way to be fine. I would change the oil afterward just to get good clean oil on the gaskets for the first bit instead of dirty grimey oil. If you have debris on the cover vaccum it off before you lift the cover to keep it from falling in.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

will i need to replace the intake manifold gasket too?
since I need to take that off to get to the rear cover.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

kkyin wrote:will i need to replace the intake manifold gasket too?
since I need to take that off to get to the rear cover.
you may not "need" to, but they are less then 30 bucks so there is no point in puting old ones back in while your already there
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Make sure to use a torque wrench to tighten all the bolts down too. Vaccum leaks will be a pain in the A$$ and the wrench is about 50.00 at Sears.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

There is one at like Autozone - Checker for like 19.99 it's a manual tension type but does the job ok =)
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

how to detach the throttle cable?
also, there are some small hoses connect near the throttle cable, do I just pull it out?
still a newbie, so I have many simple question to ask.
thanks
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

If you're not able to get out the throttle cable/bracket by yourself, do not attempt doing it by yourself at all !

This is not a ''first thing to do'' when learning mechanics on a car...
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

I am about to change out my valve Cover gaskets....someone said they can get intake manifold gasket for $30...is that $30 for the set of two or for one...and I have a set of valve cover gaskets for $45, does that sound like a reasonable price? And if anyone has done this what is the time it takes to tackle this job?

~Jay
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

JYOUNYA1 wrote:I am about to change out my valve Cover gaskets....someone said they can get intake manifold gasket for $30...is that $30 for the set of two or for one...and I have a set of valve cover gaskets for $45, does that sound like a reasonable price? And if anyone has done this what is the time it takes to tackle this job?

~Jay
$45 sounds right. The intake manifold gaskets I've bought before for $17 for the set at Autozone.

How long? If it takes you more than 5 hours your first try, I'd be surprised. Make sure YOU DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE VALVE COVER GASKET. This is the most common mistake made. It should only be tightened to about 100 inch pounds, that's about 8 ft pounds. If you overtighten them, the bolt WILL snap off in the head.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”