kl31 cams on a de valvetrain question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JWMX3

kl31 cams on a de valvetrain question

Post by JWMX3 »

I read on probetalk the klde I/E as well as the exhaust side of ZE heads are all the same, however the intake side of ZE heads has bigger retainers, springs and HLA's..... my question is, is it ok to use the kl31 intake cams on the smaller de valvetrain ?

it only makes sense to me that it would be fine, like if you took stock de cams and had them grinded to kl31 specs there would be no problems.... but the ze cams must be designed for the (i think 1mm bigger hla's) but im just a newb when it comes to heads so someone educate me please :P
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

From what I have read, all K series (minus the KJ miller cycle 2.3L cams) are interchangeable in any K series motor.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

I think he understands that they are interchangable, I may be wrong though. I think his question, is can the DE heads handle the more aggressive cams, or do you need to have stronger valve springs etc. I also have the same question, so if any one has tried it, let me know. I understand everything is interchangable blah blah blah, I wanna know if I change cams will it ruin the valves, and if so how much faster.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Many PGT guys use ZE cams...
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

good point...im off to continue this thought on probetalk!
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
lakersfan1

Re: kl31 cams on a de valvetrain question

Post by lakersfan1 »

JWMX3 wrote:I read on probetalk the klde I/E as well as the exhaust side of ZE heads are all the same, however the intake side of ZE heads has bigger retainers, springs and HLA's..... my question is, is it ok to use the kl31 intake cams on the smaller de valvetrain ?

it only makes sense to me that it would be fine, like if you took stock de cams and had them grinded to kl31 specs there would be no problems.... but the ze cams must be designed for the (i think 1mm bigger hla's) but im just a newb when it comes to heads so someone educate me please :P
If you're somehow asking if the ZE lobes will hit the sides of the DE lifters ..... no, they won't. You can go with a MUCH higher lift on cams with the DE lifters.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Ok thats the answer i expected...... if you havent seen it already take a look at this thread in probetalk
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701172523

the guy scratched the s--- out of his ze intake cams on a de valvetrain, and as to why it happened wasnt too clear,

if the lift on kl31 cams is fine for de lifters, what was the benefit of putting bigger ones in the ze's ?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Bigger what? Lifters?
You mean HLA's?
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Custommx3 wrote:Bigger what? Lifters?
You mean HLA's?
yep. sorry i wasnt technical enough for you :D HLA - hydraulic lash adjusters, hydraulic lifters, lifters - call them what you want
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

De and Zes use the same .. all 2.5Ls have the same HLAs. Except later modles used solid lifters. You cant use solid lifters with ZE cams either, they'd have to be shimmed.

I wasnt sure what u ment by

"if the lift on kl31 cams is fine for de lifters, what was the benefit of putting bigger ones in the ze's ?"

It had nothing to do with what you called HLAs.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The only reasoning I can think is maybe the larger lifter squishes more at low duration or something.

But as a reference, Frankenprobe runs a .471 lift cam on a KLDE top end. So that's ALOT more lift than a KLZE cam has.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

De and Zes use the same .. all 2.5Ls have the same HLAs. Except later modles used solid lifters. You cant use solid lifters with ZE cams either, they'd have to be shimmed.
yes im aware of the solid lifters, and i know De and Ze hlas are all the same accept the ZE's intake HLAS are 1mm bigger , that was my whole concern on using the ze intake cams on the de's 1mm smaller hla's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If it was really that much of an issue, I'd put them in and rotate the cams to see if they hit anything. But there are alot of people who use the KLZE cams on DE heads. It's an everyday occurance. I don't know what the issue is.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

But there are alot of people who use the KLZE cams on DE heads. It's an everyday occurance. I don't know what the issue is.
there is no issue, i didnt know of anyone using kl31 cams on a de so i wanted to double check after i saw the one thread i linked to on probetalk, simple as that
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The guy probably scratched his cams by not cleaning the engine parts thoroughly before cleaning. The DE cams in my DE head were scratched to s--- when I got it. It was because the idiot that rebuilt it before me didn't clean all the grit out before starting the rebuild up. They're scratched like Freddy Krueger got pissed at them. But it had nothing to do with valvetrain interference. If you take your heads off right now, one of the lifters should be around the right point to see where they'd hit when they go to lift. I assure you they're not even close to hitting the sides of the lifter.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”