high amp altenator

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slimmyslim1420

high amp altenator

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get a high amp altenator, up around 200-300 amps for my ZE. I plan to run a pretty big system and cant quite find an altenator big enough to fit the bill. I've done a search and found out about the millenia 110 amp, but its not big enough. So if anyone know of any websites or anything the info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Damon
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

talk to relisys3200 i believe it him that has a 200 amp alternator
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

I got a 180 amp alt from Nathan at http://www.excessiveamperage.com was a groupbuy a while back, but he can make them for mx-3's.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

if you dont want to dish out the money for a new, hight output alternator, my suggestion (what i did) is to take yours to a local electircal shop and get them to rebild it. Only have them wined it to a higher output. I had mine wound to almost 200 amps for just over $110.
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Well I don't care to spend some money as long as it is a good quality high amp altenator. If I can get like a 260 or 300 amp altenator then I wouldn't have to buy such a big capacitor so i would be saving money anyway. I'm mainly just curious if any company actually makes a high amp alt for our car. Or if the only option is to rebuild?
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

a cap is useless no matter how many amps your pushing, don't waste your money
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I dont know where you got your info, but a capacitor is not useless. They work very well for their intended purpose. And that is to hold a load of power so when the amp draws it out it dosent kill your altenator and battery. As long as you know what the specs mean and and which one you need they work very well!
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Thats off the subject anyway. I'm looking for a high amp altenator. So the main question is do they manufacture high amp altenators for the mx-3 v6 or possibly the ZE. Or do i have to get one rebuilt?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

slimmy, as in previous posts, B6 - 70amp, K8 - 90amp, ZE - 110amp and perhaps Millennia - 110amp???. That's it. You'd have to do a search from various auto electrical suppliers to see if there's one that will meet your needs. Haven't heard of a specific manufacturer for alt upgrades for our car but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Myself, I'd pull one myself from a pick-a-part junkyard and do like relisys_3200 suggested and get that one rewound/rebuilt. Then you're sure of having a beefier and more reliable unit. It would be a popular item if you were ever to resell.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

relisys_3200 wrote:if you dont want to dish out the money for a new, hight output alternator, my suggestion (what i did) is to take yours to a local electircal shop and get them to rebild it. Only have them wined it to a higher output. I had mine wound to almost 200 amps for just over $110.
where'd you get it done? if you don't want to post on here, send me a pm or email. looking at doing the same thing since the 110amp alt is hard to come by and will cost me $70-80 anyways. :?
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

I had my mechanics shop do it, but because they owed me, they only charged me $110. But just call around to electrical shops...I found when looking around that I could get one up to about 150amps for roughly $100
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

slimmyslim1420 wrote:I dont know where you got your info, but a capacitor is not useless. They work very well for their intended purpose. And that is to hold a load of power so when the amp draws it out it dosent kill your altenator and battery. As long as you know what the specs mean and and which one you need they work very well!

as long as your electrical system is sufficient for the power your running, your not going to "kill" anything. If you wanna buy a cap for looks thats one thing, but dont waste your money. Your better off buying another battery.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

slimmyslim1420 wrote:I dont know where you got your info, but a capacitor is not useless. They work very well for their intended purpose. And that is to hold a load of power so when the amp draws it out it dosent kill your altenator and battery. As long as you know what the specs mean and and which one you need they work very well!
And they're intended purpose is to waste money. They don't do squat except empty your pockets. And I don't know why in the name of god you'd need, or want a 300 amp alternator. The stock 90 amp is good for 1,000 watts RMS daily driving if you go through and redo all your grounds and make sure your alternator and stereo wiring is large gauge. You do all that, and your lights will hardly ever dim even with your stereo full blast. 1,000 watts RMS is ALOT in the MX3. Especially if you're smart and go ported.

I wouldn't go daily drive with more than 1,000 watts anyways. If you want to do more than that for competitions, get an extra battery that you can throw in the back for comps, and get amps with regulated power supplies so they don't mind the lower voltage of batteries over straight alternator power. If you're building a competiton system, build smarter ..... not more expensive.

Anyways, 95% of high amp alternators do s--- at idle. Most are built to put out higher voltage at high RPMs at the sacrifice of low RPM output. Some will actually put out LESS voltage at idle than the stock unit. At most, I'd recommend doing the Millenia alternator swap.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Yea I plan on running about 3000-4000 watts. Now you said a capacitor is a waste of money. I can get a 5 farad cap for about $100 bucks. And you said i should get an extra battery and throw it in the back, which most good system batteries start around $150. So it seems to me the cap is the way to go. Its cheaper and it adds some looks to your setup. Now you might not like caps for whatever reason, maybe you had the wrong one I don't know but, I do like them and I plan to use one. But I don't see why you would say I should get an extra battery instead of a cap, they are basicaly the same thing with the same purposes. But back to the subject I just want to know if any companies make after market high amp altenators for our car or do I have to get one rebuilt?
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

my buddy has two amps two alternators and just to make sure he never runs out of juice he has a solar panel mounted on his back window where his speakers are.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”