KLZE and aircare

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
DoctorP

KLZE and aircare

Post by DoctorP »

Before anyone tells me to do a search, I have. And I cannot find the answers I am looking for. WE are going to be doing a swap here real soon and I am curious about aircare?? Who has done it? Who passed or failed?? Why?? Did you tell them you did not have the original engine in the car? Did you have the K8 ECU or not? Did you run higher octane fuel?? I want all the details you have please. I have talked to a few mechanics who have told me I will run into problems with aircare with the KLZE and I want some input from someone with experience. Thank you in advance for any info.

Scott
Damn cars!!!
chertel

Post by chertel »

Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you mean by aircare, what is aircare?? Just curious.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

chertel wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you mean by aircare, what is aircare?? Just curious.
pretty sure it the emissions testing program in b.c. talk to jschrauwen about his recent experiences. i think he had a bad throttle body, but he had to do it twice. there's the camping fuel trick too that might help. sorry i can't be too helpful cause i have a k8 and haven't done emissions testing in a while.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

ovendenk wrote:
chertel wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you mean by aircare, what is aircare?? Just curious.
pretty sure it the emissions testing program in b.c. talk to jschrauwen about his recent experiences. i think he had a bad throttle body, but he had to do it twice. there's the camping fuel trick too that might help. sorry i can't be too helpful cause i have a k8 and haven't done emissions testing in a while.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=46554
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

yes it is emission testing and it is a pain in the a-- sometimes
Damn cars!!!
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

just make sure you use all the emission control crap SPECIFIED for the KLZE, and a big catalityc converter, and you will have no problem passing. The specs they follow will be for that specific engine, but you must tell them about the swap, and have some sort of documentation of it. as long as you are using All the emission control junk specifically for that engine, then you should have no problem passing right? (providing everything is working correctly) the only thing that will be different is the car that it's wrapped around.
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

that is sort of what i figured. I just want to make sure that I will be able to get it through before I go dump all this money into it
Damn cars!!!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

DoctorP wrote:that is sort of what i figured. I just want to make sure that I will be able to get it through before I go dump all this money into it
There are no guarantees. The ZE that you get might not be the healthiest for starters. I think if you had gone through my thread, I believe I covered almost all of the cases that you queried, and then some. Not sure what other specific's you could be looking for that I didn't cover??? Did you miss my thread?? Don't think you'll find anything new or different as far as emissions go that were unique to a ZE. They did not use an EGR (I think Japan's emission standards are a bit different than ours, which is part of the reason why those engines become available to us with such low mileage to begin with), however, surgeons have transplanted the EGR parts from their old KL08 onto a ZE to give that that extra comfort factor for emissions tests - so that's also an option.

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

With the standard Aircare test procedure, all they check for visually is the presence of a catalytic converter and that there is no check engine light on. You don't have to tell them about the swap at all, because they will not check for it anyway, and the motors are visually identical to non-enthusiasts anyway.

If you do choose to tell them about the swap, I would suggest simply saying it is the 2.5L from a Probe/MX-6 - ultimately, it is probably less hassle than trying to explain the JDM motor.

The only upside to telling them about the swap is that the allowable limit for the various pollutants will be higher with the 2.5L. If your KL-ZE is tuned decently (I.E. it is not running rich) and you have a functioning catalytic converter, it should pass even the 1.8L standards.

Best of luck!

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”