Oil in 1.8L V6 ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

Also, Mazda never officially recommended synthetics for any of there piston powered engines in the 90s IIRC... so as always, YMMV ;)

Castrol DID make an excellent Syntec oil called "german castrol". It was actually made in Germany, colored green, smelled funny like gummi worms, and was comparable to the best synthetics. It came in a 0W30, but was actually a THICK 30 weight. They now changed the formula in Jan 2005 but you can find some quarts still around.
After I am done with my auto-rx treatments on my 6 I'm gonna try some of that in my car and report my findings on BITOG.com and here.

I'll probably go back with a Pennz or Havoline dino oil though, and change it frequently. That's what these things seem to like, fresh clean oil at all times.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

DJ wrote:I know the past few guys hate Mobil 1. But I have recently switched to 10w30 Mobil 1 and my car idles so smooth now that you don't even hear it running and has not burnt a drop of oil. Stay away from castrol, it is awful, I burnt through a bottle a month and always had an engine knock when idling. Put in mobil 1 and it is now silent even after a few thousand hard kms.
Really?? I've been using Castrol since the spring and the only time I've had to top the oil back up was a couple of times in the summer after I took it on the highway for more than 3 hour stretches at a time. Other than that, under normal city driving, Castrol never got burnt up for me. My oil level generally stays the same all year round except if I've taken it on the highway for longer stretches. :dunno: As far as knocking goes, the only bit of noise I get is just the typical noisy lifters on a cold fall/winter start-up, but that's it. Just did my change-over last week for the winter and put Castrol GTX 5W30 back in. Guess we'll see how she runs through another winter on it, I suppose.
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

0w40 in my car mobel one makes it. and the oil is a lighter oil but if you have high miles on your engine dont use a 0w30 to fine. 0w40 is almost like 5w30 just a little finer thats all. The cool thing i like about this oil is it protects more at higher temps.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Castrol 20w50.......i used it and my valve cover stopped leaking : P mauhah, been using it for a year now. Sure change it over in winter time..but i never do.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”