Tire pressure... ?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
kaalman

Tire pressure... ?

Post by kaalman »

Hey guyz... :)
Long time no see...

Here comes the winter to us... how I hate this period of the year...
but since we have to have winter tires from 15th november till 15th march,
please anyone, I would need to know the tire pressures
for:

205/55R15
full loaded vehicle:
normal loaded vehicle:

and if anyone could suggest for summer tires:

205/45R16
full loaded vehicle:
normal loaded vehicle:

I WAS searching.. but unfortunately found nothing about this thema

and neither do I have any vehicle documentation about this issue :)

10x

Not driving a japanese car :?: ... heh... you better walk... :P
Greetz!
KAALman
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i do 32PSI on my stock GS tires

dunno if that helps you out though
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

will 205's fit on the stock gs honeycomb rims???

I snagged mine and they had good tires on them and they are 185/65 15
and they seem like 205 would be blowing out the sides....
1993 RS Teal
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

205/55 15's are meant for the stock honeycomb 15's as per info tag inside drivers door jam. Recommended tire pressures for both 14's and 15's are there also. Rule of thumb for me is - start at a base tire pressure when the tire is cold. Do some real aggressive driving to really warm up the tires and then quickly measure the tire pressure. If the pressure rises by more than 3 psi, then the original cold pressure was too low - put it up by about 1 or 2 psi and try test over again until the warmed up pressure reaches 3 psi over the cold. My rule of thumb only, but seems to work well. FWIW.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

What tires are you using? My Khumo snow tires have such a soft sidewall that i set my pressure at 40psi. It slightly offsets the floaty feeling that those soft sidewalls create. In fact, when I use a stronger low profile summer tire I usually have the pressure around 40. It helps with keeping a large patch of rubber on the pavement under hard cornering...which i do ALL the time. :P
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Some people think that they may increase the life of their tires or get better performance by using a high tire pressure. Various tire manufacturers make some of their tires with different rubber compounds. Each one has their own unique characteristics. Most have a few things in common, which is an optimum operating temperature that's achieved by having the correct tire pressure for that specific tire. If the tire doesn't reach it's optimum operating temperature the rubber compound used does not achieve it's optimum gripping or stiction capabilities. This might make more sense for those that live in an area that's subject to a wide difference in temperatures. Those that experience exceptionally cold winters will allways find that their tire pressures will drop significantly giving the impression that there might be a leak when in fact it's all tied to my previous explanation, that temperature and pressure are directly related. Those that have spent a fair bit of time on roadrace courses can atest to this also. Has this made any sense?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

That makes good sence...

Around here the temps drop way WAY below freezing in the dead of winter and you get out to get in the car and it looks like someone when around you car and let out all the air...

Thats the reason NASCAR drivers do that zig zag thing they do. I do that sometimes also, it works really well to warm up the tires :wink:

The tires I had before i got my winters on said 40-45 psi max 50psi on the sides, they had crazy high and soft sidewalls...
1993 RS Teal

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”