Insurance regarding modification

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

Basically, anything that alters the performance of the vehicle... I've heard some horror stories about things such as intakes and lowering kits etc. And in cases where people with those mods had an accident the insurance just said "Tough s---, thats not what your car is supposed to have, hence, $0 to you."
Gabor

Post by Gabor »

i had a stock car before. i hit the traffick light. tha car get total.

the insurance said they gona pay for everithyng.

they dont paid for nothing.they said i have to pay for the storage 2500$
the car was ther for a month.
Gabor

Post by Gabor »

anyway if i had a accident i pay from my pocket.

its cheaper :o
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Yup engine and suspension is an uber no no
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

its unfortunate i'v got an engine swap and suspension then, isn't it? (i believe many of us are in this boat)

what about the claim "my engine was dying (just look at my OD) so i brought it someplace to get a new one put in, and this is what they gave me. I don't know the difference" think they'd buy it?

(they were gonna insure my stereo, had no problem w/ that, but never got the forms to me so i forgot about it)
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Well as far as the engine goes if everything else looks stock I don't see how they would know it's a KL and not a K8

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

Most of the time they wouldn't, depends how smart your claims representative is when they're looking at the vehicle. If they don't notice you're off the hook.
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Ya....things get messy when they pop the hood and BAM there is a massive turbo smack dab in thier face.

phredren

Post by phredren »

Selecta wrote: I think the best thing to do is call up and ask the hypothetical to see where they stand on the issue. I mean if they are going to totally tight about it then I would have to see if it's worth telling or simply taking my chances...etc.
I did just that. I called them and told them that I was considering changing my suspension to an aftermarket performance type but I just wanted to see if it was ok with them before I went ahead and did it, I found out at a later date that the weasel I was talking to put a note on my account saying that my car may be modified. So it seems as though if you even mention modification, they're going to be keeping their eye on you. That sort of gives you an idea on how serious they are about the issue.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

then call up anonymously as a potential customer asking what their policy is on modified cars. just don't call from home or any other number they may have on file.
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Well like I have been saying...the only time all the modifications really come into play and stuff is if you are involved in an accident....otherwise you are pretty safe.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”