F25RM Trans - Fluid Fill

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mazda_Power

F25RM Trans - Fluid Fill

Post by Mazda_Power »

Is the F-Series trans (94+ RS) supposed to be full to the point where fluid is supposed to run out the plug in the front which has the wires running out of it. I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Aaron
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i was told thats how to fill it by a technician at mazda so yah id say so....
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: F25RM Trans - Fluid Fill

Post by neutral »

Mazda_Power wrote:Is the F-Series trans (94+ RS) supposed to be full to the point where fluid is supposed to run out the plug in the front which has the wires running out of it. I can't seem to find a clear answer.
That's not the best (or correct) way to check/adjust the fluid level on the 94+ RS. The online shop manual http://www.mx-3.com/95manual, page J1-007 diagram's how to check the MTX fluid level. You actually read/adjust the fluid level by using the speedo sensor gear as if it were a dipstick. Kinda weird but it works. After removing the speedo sensor and filling the tranny thru the speedo sensor hole (2.68L capacity), Reinsert the speedo sensor, then remove it and eyeball the speedo sensor gear to see where the fluid level is at. You won't see actual L or F marks on the sensor gear but the fluid level should be within the top half of the sensor gear when viewed from the side. Add or remove fluid as needed.

This thread gives more info http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=85657#85657 from others with the same question. Within that thread, this link explains it better - check out photo #14 for a better diagram of using the speedo sensor gear as a dipstick. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 1356548&f=

It's straightforward but was kinda a pita to figure out first time I did it too. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Image -Jim
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Wow...

Thanks for the information. I tried filling it though the speedo gear (that's the way my Festiva is), but even after I took the bolt out the sensor assembly wouldn't budge!
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
StylinMike

Post by StylinMike »

Just did this the other day. To get that speedo gear out is kinda a PITA. What you do is remove the 10 mm bolt. Then with a flat screwdriver stick it between the base of the speedo gear where the bolt hole is and the tranny and kinda wedge it out slowly. Push the metal base with the bolt hole back and forth while doing this and the gear should pop out. Its all in a pretty awkward spot so good luck :).

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”