Front Component Speaker Questions

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Gfresh

Front Component Speaker Questions

Post by Gfresh »

I'm thinking of picking up some Rockford Power 6.5" component speakers for the front of my 94' MX-3 GS, and I'm just wondering what's a good place to mount the tweeters and the crossovers so the sound and look good.
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can cut a hole in the door panel to mount the tweeter, just be careful to cut it cleanly and the perfect size. Or you can mount them in the plastic sail panel just behind the side mirror. Same thing though cut slowly and perfect hole diameter. The door location should sound alittle better b/c it is closer, but the best answer is to mold a 45* sail panel to hold them.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you've got a 94, does that mean you don't have the power seatbelts? If so, I'd put them in the Apillar panel.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

yeah 94=no auto belts. Put it there..you dont want to seperate the tweeter too far from the mid..you kinda get a 'hole in the middle effect'
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I put the tweeter from my Soundstream components in the foot kick panel. I know it's not the optimum setting since the higher freq's work on line of sight (ie directional) and as mentioned would be better suited in the mirror backings or A-pillar. I didn't want to make excessive holes in the car and the tweet's are angled upward for max effect. Crossover resides in the dead space in centre consol behind radio/ heater controls/ ashtray.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I put mine in the top righthand corner of the doorpanels. Crystal clear. I suppose it help that they are Eclipses :P
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Slade

Post by Slade »

I have mine mounted on the dash pointed towrds the the front seats, sound is clear and highs can still be heard with 15 going. I got kicker components.
TheBlackMoth

Post by TheBlackMoth »

Hi, I have a set of focal tweeters etc to fit, but I don't know what the best way to cut a hole in the door panel would be... does anyone have a decent method?
Lookin Good :) http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/o ... 000493.jpg

1.8 V6, MODS: Richbrook Steering Wheel, Green Cotton Air Filter, 16" Wheels, Speakers, Sub+Amp
MODS Planned: White Dials
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

MX-SLICK wrote:yeah 94=no auto belts. Put it there..you dont want to seperate the tweeter too far from the mid..you kinda get a 'hole in the middle effect'
That's only if you pick a crappy set or you don't know what you're doing. You can get it to sound fine if you experiment with tweeter placement and aiming before you commit to cutting the hole.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Well since the door is basically cardboard - I used a box cutter knife to cut my whole. Took it slow and made sure the hole was perfect :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

A dremel works nice too, and if you have the small circular cutting tool that works even better :wink:

-Curt-
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
Saucy

Post by Saucy »

Image :lol:
93 323- BP swap,Pacesetter header,magnaflow,highflow cat, pacesetter catback,Rx7vaf+filter, Adv timing, Fidanza Adj camgears, GTx front bumper, EGT side skirts, Espec headlights, LED upper spoiler, GTR midwing, familia rear garnish, Mx3 carpet +all seats,
92-mx3 gs
mx3hatchcrap

good move

Post by mx3hatchcrap »

jschrauwen wrote:I put the tweeter from my Soundstream components in the foot kick panel. I know it's not the optimum setting since the higher freq's work on line of sight (ie directional) and as mentioned would be better suited in the mirror backings or A-pillar. I didn't want to make excessive holes in the car and the tweet's are angled upward for max effect. Crossover resides in the dead space in centre consol behind radio/ heater controls/ ashtray.
I am with him,
Me , i am running a pioneer headunit w/ custom Kick panels, 4'' speakers sealed enclosure. They provide awesome stereo immaging!!!
My Beater Mx3 is For SALE!!! >
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

My source of Life: Psalm 118:8 (the very center scripture in the bible!)
TheBlackMoth

Post by TheBlackMoth »

Cheers for the help, didn't realise the door panels were made out of chip-board!
Got my tweeters in nice and flush now!

Anyone know how to feed new wires from the door through to the head unit? Is it a tough job?

Thanks,
Oli
Lookin Good :) http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/o ... 000493.jpg

1.8 V6, MODS: Richbrook Steering Wheel, Green Cotton Air Filter, 16" Wheels, Speakers, Sub+Amp
MODS Planned: White Dials
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

TheBlackMoth wrote: Anyone know how to feed new wires from the door through to the head unit? Is it a tough job?

Thanks,
Oli
It's a pain in the god damned a--. Basically, you'll have to use a wire clothes hanger to fish a wire through the rubber grommet between the door and kickpanel area.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”