please help me..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
den

please help me..

Post by den »

I am having problems with my sunroof. I searched forums about this problem and found some threads but they were dead topics, I mean the thread ended with no solutions.

So I am going to need your help guys. Everytime I open/close the sunroof it would make a sound like a gear is slipping or something just before the sunroof pops out or just before it slides back in. It would open/close only if I push it a little bit. It sucks coz I have to get off the car eveytime I wanna close the sunroof just to push it back in. I really want to fix this problem coz the sunroof is one of the features of my car that I love the most.
To anyone who knows the solution to this problem, please help me.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.
I thought I could use the online shop manual to fix this problem but the link to "slide sunroof" doesn't work. :(
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I had a similar problem - it was a pain - sometimes it would take 2 of us to get it open / closed.

All I did was clean the rails the sunroof runs in and put a bit of grease on them. That was 12 months ago and it has worked perfectly since.

Take your time with it and if theres build up on the rails keep at it and get as clean as possible.

Good luck with it - hope this is all it is!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
den

Post by den »

Hey grants thanks coz you always answer all of my questions first. Since you're still online I just wanna ask how did you clean the rails? any suggestions? You are talking about the aluminum rail, not the ribbed bar, right? thanks again.
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
mr_icez

Post by mr_icez »

ya the samething is happening to me too. Some one told me that its because on side is going faster then the other. I dont know if that is right.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

whats the best lube to use?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

well if cleaning them doesnt help, I have one for sale. 60$ and it is yours. Its white.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yea - the aluminium rail. I just used a rag and scrubbed away! :D

For lube I just used some grease very sparingly.

I was amazed how good it got because it ALWAYS jammed before but the rails never looked too dirty so make sure you do a good job of it.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
den

Post by den »

Dang, cleaning the rail didn't help. I cleaned it very well, I even used break cleaner to remove all those sticky grease and dirt but still no positive result. What do you guys think could be the problem of it. And It seems the right side of the sunroof is sliding a little bit faster than the left. I tried to aliign it but still didnt wok. Could it be the gear or whatever is inside it? I know replacing the sunroof is the best thing to do but I'm kinda broke right now, so I'm wondering if you guys know an easier and cheaper way to fix it. Thanks a lot!

Oh by the way, what about yours, mr_icez did it work?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

It still sounds like its doing exactly the same thing mine did. I thought mine was beyond repair too.

Did you clean the underside of the rails too?

When the roof is closed have you kept pressing the "close" switch? I remember mine used to pull sqaure at that stage as the other side "caught up" if you know what I mean... Same thing at full open.

I'm still betting a clean will do it - I remember mine didn't look dirty and I didn't seem to remove much when I cleaned it but it sure worked ok. Why not give it another shot?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The sunroofs can be a pain. So I'd liek to start by saying that unless Grants fix works you might be in for a long and tiresome fix.
First, the sunroof motor can shift over time and htat is what causes most of the sliding one side faster problems (other than dirty tracks causing more friction on one side) You can realign the motor, but I'd suggest buying a MX-3 manual if you cannot get the online one to work since the directions are detailed and a pain.
Secondly, you can also adjust the tracks, but this can make things worse since the tracks shouldn't really ever move in the first place. Same thing, get a manual since the directions are detailed and difficult.
Third, you car sould have been in a wreck before you bought it and the frame may be bent just slightly and causing the binding. (this is a bit unlikely, but could be the problem) How long have you owned the car? Have you ever wrecked it? If so what was the damage and where was the damage?
The gears can wear out so don't keep forcing it or you'l make the problem worse. Find the manual and sit down with plenty of time find the problem and fix it. I suggest cleaning it again (very well, but without any detergents since they will take the greas off of parts that you cannot get to so that you can reapply the grease) Use a tooth brush if you need to get a spot that your fingers won't reach. If that doesn't work try aligning the motor and the tracks if that motor does not fix it. If still no progress then you can buy a new one, but that won't help if the tracks are messed up, bent or the body is warped.

Good luck and I hope it is a much easier fix than what I posted.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
den

Post by den »

I just bought that car like two months ago but I love that car more than my GF lol. I dont think it had been in any serious accident before. The records doesnt say so and the body/chasis looks straight. I can tell by the doors/trunk/hatch coz they are all still nicely aligned, well for a 1992 car atleast.
Thanks guys. I'll do both. We'll see if I can make it work. I love the feeling when I get to fix something in my car. :D I'll let you guys know whether I fixed it or not. Thanks again.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

den wrote:I just bought that car like two months ago but I love that car more than my GF lol. I dont think it had been in any serious accident before. The records doesnt say so and the body/chasis looks straight. I can tell by the doors/trunk/hatch coz they are all still nicely aligned, well for a 1992 car atleast.
Thanks guys. I'll do both. We'll see if I can make it work. I love the feeling when I get to fix something in my car. :D I'll let you guys know whether I fixed it or not. Thanks again.

HAHA hey i feel the same about my gf... anywho my sunroof motor died..rail broke bleh i can only open it by hand i WISH i could make it manual... hmm imma try that this summer.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”