NOISE related to engine rpm's increasing

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
1994redm3

NOISE related to engine rpm's increasing

Post by 1994redm3 »

The noise is lke a fluttering sound coming from the engine after like 4,000 RPMS, and also when im not moving and its in neutral...

its coming from the engine area...and its driving me crazy...the car has around 148k miles

ALSO

for some reason, when i brake i get nasty sounds as well, also my OIL light goes on for a few seconds when i brake and clutch, its driving me crazy, i should probably get the oil change but anyone?
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

For the fluttering, check your exhaust for loose components. My heat shield around the cat is making a nice rattle, but I haven't taken the time to get under there and pull it off.

Your brake pads and shoes have small bands of metal burried within them. When the pad wears down to an unacceptable level, the metal bands become exposed and rub against your drums and rotors. I'd bet this is the sould you are hearing This is a tell tale sign that you need a brake job... NOW. If you wait too long you run a very good chance of ruining the rotors, drums and possibly your capilars...

Check your oil level. As far as I know, that light only comes on for insufficent oil pressure. Maybe your oil is low and when you brake it's all rushing toward the front of the pan, away from the pump. Check your oil, fill it if it needs it.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
1994redm3

Post by 1994redm3 »

oh, sweet, alright ill check that out later today..

so this heat shield is it crucial to have? or what?

thanks for your help bro..

EDIT:

what type of oil should i put in there?
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Use the same kind of oil that was used in your last oil change. If you don't remember or don't know, I would just change all the oil anyway. I would hate to have you add one type of oil when it's already running something different. Get it changed at a shop you trust. The online manual reccomends just your basic every day 10w30, so have them go with that.

Heat shields aren't crucial, per say. They're installed from the factory, so they have a purpose (to help contain heat and keep the areas around it cool.... i guess?). Personally, they don't further my cause, and I've never had any ill effects removing them from any vehicle. If you find one that is the culprit of your rattle, take it off and see what that does for you. If anything bad happens, you can always put it back on, but you should be alright.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”