Best place to buy a valve cover gasket?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nick2000

Best place to buy a valve cover gasket?

Post by nick2000 »

I just noticed that my engine is leaking oil pretty bad from the front of the engine down onto the heat shield for the exhaust manifold. I checked the oil two weeks ago and then yesterday and it was almost empty. I called Advance Auto parts and the guy told me it was $13.00. So I go down to order it and he said he thought I said for the 4 cylinder. The V6 was $54.00. Anyone have a lead on somewhere that might be cheaper? I'm really strapped for cash right now, but I dont want to ruin my engine. Any help is appreciated.

Also, is it very hard to change it and do I need any other gaskets? It seems like it's only 12 bolts and it would come off. Am I right or wrong?
GQ084

Post by GQ084 »

Yea, thats about average price, autozone here in NY said it would cost ~$40's. From my understanding, the first one is easy, but I believe you have to remove intake manifold to access the rear.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Yeah if you are going to do both vavle cover gaskets, to get to the rear bank you have to remove the intake manifold, so it is strongly reccomended to replace those while you are at it. i did this early in the year and the only place that hand the gaskets were mazda. it cost me about 140$ to replace both valve covers and manifold gaskets.

Nate
nick2000

Post by nick2000 »

I was thinking of just replacing the one in the front that's leaking. The other one seems to be in good shape. I think when he replaced the distributor he removed the valve cover. I'm pretty sure he just reused the same gasket when he put it back. So, I guess I'll go down and pick one up if I cant get it any cheaper. Thanks for the info.
ocshaman

Post by ocshaman »

sorry to resurrect but the front gasket, is it considered the left or right?

Also, rockauto has the gaskets, and there is a 5% off code good until Dec.

Here's how it works:

- You give this discount code: 315549298890 to friends, neighbors, relatives,
the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.
- When someone (including yourself) places an order at http://www.rockauto.com and
enters your discount code, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on
that order.
* If you are using our Java Catalog, enter your discount code in the "How did
you hear about us" line of the shopping cart
* If you are using our non-Java Catalog, enter your the discount code in the
"Discount Code" field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount"
- The discount code expires on December 20, 2005; so don't wait!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

ocshaman wrote:sorry to resurrect but the front gasket, is it considered the left or right?
The way I remember is if you're humping the flywheel, figure out which is on the lef tor right from there. Not that I advocate actually humping the flywheel.
ocshaman

Post by ocshaman »

lakersfan1 wrote:
ocshaman wrote:sorry to resurrect but the front gasket, is it considered the left or right?
The way I remember is if you're humping the flywheel, figure out which is on the lef tor right from there. Not that I advocate actually humping the flywheel.
The twin tail pipes are more my thing. Thanks though. I sent an email to giantautoparts.com. They seem to have the gaskets for $7 a pop.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”