strange burst of power

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
vtmx3

strange burst of power

Post by vtmx3 »

I recently did a head gasket on my dohc. Replaced just about everything you could think of during this. I dont know why because I'll be doing the bpt in the spring, I guess I just wanted to make sure I had no problems during vermonts crappy winter. Any way, Every since I finished the head job the car has had this strange Idle problem I have been over everthing made sure timing was dead on all wires hoses ect... were conected been all over everthing took the throtle body off and cleaned the piss out of it and down inside the IACV. I noticed that the negitive battery cable was loss tightened that up that didnt do anything. The idle will bounce up to around 1400 sit there for a sec, go down to 900 and bounce back up. Now this only happens when I've been driving it and I stop at a red light. it will do that for a while and then go to a perfect idle. But starting today, intermitently, I will have these nice short burst of power where the car feels incredably strong and fast, faster then it was before the head gasket job. As it should I amagine since I replaced and cleaned everything. But no sooner has the grin on my face appeared does it lack some serious power. I know that the 1.6L dohc isnt know to be a power house but there is seriously something going on here guys. What do you guys think? It also seems like I'm getting poor gas milege. This is something I can live with till spring but it's just very puzzling to not know what is causing this. Well that wil about do it for me. Sorry about the length of this.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

you replace the O2 lately? When you say bad gas milage I think of that.
vtmx3

no

Post by vtmx3 »

well, seeing how the fuel filter was the original from 94 I'm guessing the o2 sensor is as well. It could be that I supose. I'm not convinced however. Would that effect the idle. Could I try cleaning the o2 sensor?
vtmx3

yes

Post by vtmx3 »

It turns out its not the o2 sensor, or the temp sensor, I unpluged the IACV and the car is running great . Is the IACV really needed? What exactly does it really do? Well, in any case I'm just happy I can stop at a red light and not have it sound like I'm reving my engine at the car in front of me.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Idle Speed Control Valve. On cold mornings it acts like a choke, and it also helps your motor run the accessories (power steering, alternator under load, a/c) by rasing your idle to compensate for the random amounts of hp they drain. I've got the same problem from what it sounds like, but haven't tracked it down yet. I think my next step is to replace that valve. Cleaning it didn't do a thing for me.

How are your cold weather starts? And how does the car accelerate at WOT with that unplugged?
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
vtmx3

hello

Post by vtmx3 »

The car starts very quick, not like it's supposed to when is cold. You know, the high idle for awhile thing. It seems to be doing just fine with warming up and all that. I feel like I have better throtle response now. It doesnt feel like its sticking. I would just replace the valve but it's really not worth it to me at this point. The bp-t will be on it's way soon so until then I'm not spending that much on the 1.6dohc. I dont know, try it and see how your car runs
vtmx3

great

Post by vtmx3 »

Ok, I guess the throtle response isnt as good as I thought. It still feels like its sticky. It has been cleaned with new wall, and if any of you work at a car wash you know how that stuff cleans. Also I am getting extremely bad gas milege. I put $11.40 worth of regular in my car @ $2.29 a gallon. It brought me up over half a tank just slightly however. I went 108 miles and the gas light comes on. Is that normal? I remember getting better then that before I did the engine work. So I've pluged my iacv back in and will see what happens. I really dont car about this slow little motor but if I'm going to have to spend all my swap money on gas over the winter then I need to fix this problem.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”