corksport vs. ebay!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

Unfortunately for some reason my comp isn't working correctly and I don't know if pics are working on my site or not. they aren't for me and it looks like I might have a blank page for the time being. hopefully it'll be up tonight. As for the pics. I'll forward them to you sometime tonight hopefully. Too many to send now because I'm in class but you'll get them soon. Mazdaspeed. Goodluck with the ecu and definately keep us posted. Hopefully you'll find a good deal. I spent 280 on mine shipped and it was only because I was in a bind to get the ecu asap. 220 buy it now is a pretty good price when 20 is all you pay for shipping. You are getting out 40 bucks cheaper than I did. Right after I received mine in the mail. I started finding them all over the place for 200-220... Just my luck I guess. Still very happy with it though.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

for all your other old school mx3er. Remember curtlkze ? He used both, he said he got is ecu reprogrammed by Corksport (wich they sent somehwere else, EL prototype somethin like that) and he said the klze ecu was wayyyyy more better then the reprogrammed one. Many other people said that too that used the CS ecu. BUT that was long ago. Maybe they changed their maps or whatever, but couple of years ago CS ecu's sucked big time.
Pat, maybe your gain over the other ZE's are due to other parts and not the actual ecu, you should have dynoed with both.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

I do remember hearing things before about corksport. Couldn't remember what the pros and cons were. Back in 99 when I had my first gs and started looking into the ze swap, corksport was the only place to get the ecu from my knowledge. That was back when they were in the process of building their mx. Needless to say I never got to go through with the swap because the car was totalled in a flood. Thankfully, with my new mx, there are options with the ecu.. I also noticed reprogrammed eproms on ebay that you can purchase but by looking at the pricing on them, I'm not too sure I would trust that route. I do believe there were eproms mentioned in the for sale forums a while back. Just another option, but without talking to reputable people on the forum who have personal experience with eprom, I wouldn't go that route.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

yea i agree babyblue ive heard alot of places that reprogramed ecus just bite
but now im hearing that the corksport ones are pretty good but im still trying to figure out if their $200 better im def leaning tward getting one from ebay though i cant stand my engine running this rich its killing my wallet
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

I asked Corksport whether they could reprogram VRIS activation points on an ECU (since they say on the website that they can do custom programs), and their response was no - they ONLY reprogram the fuel and timing maps. This agrees with the description of their remapped ECU's for KL-ZE swaps, "...changes fuel and timing maps to match that of the Japanese computer." If they don't reprogram the VRIS activation points, this would affect the power curve, with the remapped ECU probably not having as smooth a curve - it would likely have slight dips where the VRIS is out of sync with the proper ZE settings, probably around 3000 - 3500 rpm and again around 6000 - 6500 rpm.

Note, however, that the incorrect VRIS points would likely have NO effect on peak HP, since both engines apparently have both VRIS butterflies closed before their HP peak...
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

wow i had to read that one over again
but yea in that case wouldnt the kl36 be a better choice then since it has the correct vris points, and they leave the i guess its de vris settings?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

the kl36 and kl31 has the correct vris points for the straight neck intake (kl31cams). Though the correct ecu to use with the curve neck ze's (kl01 cams) would have been the ones that the eunos800 came with but they used a maf sensor thus the ecu won't work.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

i bought a kl36 ecu off ebay today so i guess ill post when i install it
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I am old school and had mine reprogrammed about 3 years ago (maybe four now, I've lost count)
As for the power coming from other mods, I doubt it since I have very few other power adding mods. I'm sure the other than ECU stuff did help, but I account a good bit of it to the ECU.
I've driven both a KL36 and mine and they honestly feel just the same to me power wise. Chris' is almost exactly the same except he uses the KL36 and a different clutch. I really wish he would hit the dyno one day so that I can see the difference.

As for the VRIS, I don't think it is much of an issue. My dyno graph is pretty smooth and I cannot feel any lag, just a swift kick in the arse when it hits.
There is a reprogramming company that gets alot of talk on Probetalk that seems to be the best. Dyno proven by numeruos members. I can't remember the companies name off hand though. over any other reporgramming company or the KL36 ECU.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

babyblueMX3 wrote: Though the correct ecu to use with the curve neck ze's (kl01 cams) would have been the ones that the eunos800 came with but they used a maf sensor thus the ecu won't work.
Steve, what's the identification of that MAF - KL??
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote:There is a reprogramming company that gets alot of talk on Probetalk that seems to be the best. Dyno proven by numeruos members. I can't remember the companies name off hand though. over any other reporgramming company or the KL36 ECU.
From the For Sale Forum;
Slammed6 wrote:OK, here is what i got. I have a K8 ECU that has been re-chipped to a KL-31 based program, but has been modified to get even more HP and trq out of the ZE.
Me and my friends that all have KL-ZE's in our cars have been spending lots of time on the Dyno. I personally have a KL-36 ECU and VAF, and then one of my friends had a Mike Seli Chip whcih is popular on Probetalk.com
But we designed an ECU that makes as much a 10-15WHP and 5-10 lbs Trq more that the japanese ECU and Mike seli chip (through certain RPM ranges)
-Your car will not cut out at 115 MPH (like the JDM)
-No need for a JE-50 VAF
-You will not have a EGR code, as this one has been deleted
-Your fuel and timing has been altered for more horsepower/trq
-VRIS is set for a striaght neck manifold, but working on a curve neck ZE VRIS points.
Please PM me if your interetsted in this EPROM.
I was looking at selling the EPROM with socket for $90 Shipped.
Any questions please feel free to ask me.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”