corksport vs. ebay!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

corksport vs. ebay!

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

ok heres a ebay kl36 ecu
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Mazd ... dZViewItem for $220 and the heres the corksporthttp://corksport.com/store/category/53f ... ngine.html for $395 is the corksport ecu really about $200 dollars better then a ebay one
opinions please

ps. im hoping that this ecu will take care of my engine burning rich and my bad gas milage
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

The ebay ecu is a genuine KLZE, it's the best ecu for your car, good luck winning the auction!
The corksport ecu is just more expensive, but i've never seen those labels before...., anyone here bought one from corksport?

*edit* after re-reading the ad, i guess the corksport ecu is just a remapped DE ecu, whether that is better or not....?
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

I'm using kl36. Save your money and go genuine jdm. I read corksport isn't that great. Don't know from personal experience other than my 36 is treating me right. I love the way the car runs and drives with it. my car with my original usdm ecu would stall and I'd have to park it for a few hours before she would fire up again when I originally did the ze swap. It was running too rich and flooding the engine. 2 weeks later after my ecu arrived from Rick Johnson.. got it from him off ebay. The car ran so good I fried my clutch. It's a tiny bit rich but that's okay. You aren't going to run lean and burn up the engine. The car pulls much harder now, the gas mileage is better than it was with the usdm. I was getting about 11 mpg with the ze/usdm ecu and now with the ze/kl36 I'm getting between 20 and 22mpg. Not great but I have an exhaust leak and I think it may be hurting my mileage. Plus I'm a pretty aggressive driver and someone else might get a little better mileage. Goodluck and I'm sure with either the corksport or JDM ecu you will be very pleased with the results of that engine running right in the car.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

ok cool thanks for your help ill just save myself some money and get the one off ebay hopefuly that will help my gas milage
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

AS far the the Corksport ECU not being as good as the KL36 ECU... you may want to ask PATDIESEL about that.

They re-mapped his K8 ECU and he is putting down higher horsepower numbers than any other N/A ZE thats posted their numbers. They also remove the speed limiter, and the rev-limiter.

He put down 170 wheel horsepower I beleive.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

When I met with Pat, Creech, and Jay at Roebling, Creech mentioned that it's only a wire to cut to remove your speed limiter, as far as the rev limiter I'm sure you can remove that as well. My only suggestion with the rev limiter is that you make all your power up to about 6500 rpm and your limiter is at 8500. There is not really any point to remove that unless you are building that engine to withstand that high of an rpm. I've hit my rev limiter before and truthfully it's just a waste of time because you aren't making the power you need to accelerate fast after 6500 and you risk the chance of damaging your engine.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

FIMotorMX-3 wrote: When I met with Pat, Creech, and Jay at Roebling, Creech mentioned that it's only a wire to cut to remove your speed limiter, as far as the rev limiter I'm sure you can remove that as well. My only suggestion with the rev limiter is that you make all your power up to about 6500 rpm and your limiter is at 8500. There is not really any point to remove that unless you are building that engine to withstand that high of an rpm. I've hit my rev limiter before and truthfully it's just a waste of time because you aren't making the power you need to accelerate fast after 6500 and you risk the chance of damaging your engine.

True... I am was only stating what Corksport did. Pat did not request that they remove it, they just did.

Also, just a side note, Chris's MX-3 is just as fast as Patrick's, maybe a bit faster. He just hasnt dynoed his yet for the raw numbers!

:)
~Perry
Please visit
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

Does chris use the same ecu as Patrick. Or is his kl31/36? I don't remember from what we spoke about. I do want to cut my speed limiter but we didn't get around to it that day. He was going to point out which wire while I was there. I'm not trying to say that the corksport one isn't worth the money either, just weighting out the price of either one and the benefits you gain from it. Economically it would seem more beneficial for the KL36 off ebay. My car still has the stock exhaust and a broken front motormount which will be both fixed this Friday ,hopefully, and it hauls a$$. He will be very happy with either ecu I'm sure. My best friend has a 95 civic hatch with a b18 type r swap, it has the type r lsd, jdm ecu, header, exhaust, intake, and some other mods and his car is rediculously quick, and he was really impressed with the ze and how hard the car does pull. We are giving up a weight disadvantage and gearing disadvantage with our cars but it's a fun car to drive regardless. I'm very interested in how much chis' car is making to the wheels, as well as mine, to compare it to how the corksport ecu has effected the engine on Pat's.
check out myspace:

MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

hmmm now im wondering if i should shoot for the corksport if it really does help that well with power
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Alright for a real response ask the person who everyone is talking about. Yes IMO the CorkSport one is better than the stock one. For 200.00 more I don't really know. I know that I make about 15-20 more wheel HP than most other ZEs, but your call really. I have plenty of other stuff on the ZE that should make more power so I cannot say it is all the ECU.
And just to defend my car, since it is more important than me. Chris was faster then me around the track at Roebling Road pound for pound. I was faster on some parts and he in others, but he was faster in more parts and thus faster around the track. Also in my defence my camber was set to ZERO by some dumb a-- shop who didn't have a clue about camber plates that I had just bought and brought to them for an alignment. I knew they messed up but didn't have time to let them fix it or bring it to someone else to be properly adjusted. Also Chris wasn't but a tiny bit faster than me.
When I did my ZE swap KL36 ECUs were non-existant and thus a remapped one was the only real answer.
Other than the ECU Chris' car is exactly the same as mine engine wise. A dyno by him would be nice to see the exact difference in the ECUs.
I am also the father of all MOCAs ZEs and will not be bad mouthed by our President, who didn't even attend the track meet :P
I am not slow, just camberly challanged at the moment.
So what I suggest is to do some homework on KL36 ECUed ZEs and you have my dyno number of 170 WHP and then make an educated decision with oyur goals and pocket in mind.
Just FYI, you cannot really ever compare any car apples to apples since no two are likely to be the exact same, but for reference I have a straight neck ZE intake (not a Millinea or Probe one) remapped CorkSport ECU, HotShot headers, high low cat, Flowmaster exhaust, 2.5 inch piping mandrell bent from headers all the way back.
Other than very fine tuning of the motor and timing that is all I have as far as bolt on power.
Good luck...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

PATDIESEL wrote: Chris was faster then me
Good luck...
You slow!!! :)

i bet the fastest pimp daddy v6 speed demon of moca now is chanko.

but yes pat is the grand daddy ZE man of moca, INFACT between Him justin and Me we were able to get more whp out of my kfze than most people are putting down in there KLZE's and that was with a k8 IM and stock exhaust manifolds.
I was puttind down 154whp with the car in Limp mode which if anyone knows being in limp mode will make your car drastically drop in HP and after i found out it was in limp mode and fixed that problem OH MAN that thing was fun ::tear::

ALL HAIL ZE GOD! hey pat your not asleep wanna come do a ze swap real quick?
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

Hey Pat, for some reason I thought you had an UR pulley too. Maybe I'm mixing up posts.... anyway, I still have pics of Roebling. I gotta email em to you guys. There's about ten or so of our cars and some of you guys working on your cars in the pits. Which email do you prefer, last time I tried emailling through mx-3 I ended up sending it right back to myself.. In fact that was the email I sent you about meeting at the track. lol, I'm a jacka$$... You prefer them to the moca site email? Let me know. And by the way, I'm not knocking anyone's cars. The moca guys were cool and definately had a good time checking them out at Roebling... They all know what they are talking about so you gotta make your own decision.. I said my peice on the kl36 from my experience and Pat is definately the person to talk to about the corksport. I also think Gro Harlem has a 36 running his ZE.. Someone has to have dyno numbers on the kl36/ze swap for comparison. The first pic on my cardomain page is one from Roebling. Don't laugh, I just started messing with cardomain so the page is a little sorry right now.
check out myspace:

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Don't PM them to me, but the email address is the same here and at the MOCA site. Thanks for the pics, since I was racing I didn't get many.

Brian, SHUT UP!! :lol: "my quote"
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

PATDIESEL wrote: I am also the father of all MOCAs ZEs and will not be bad mouthed by our President, who didn't even attend the track meet :P

Not once did I say a bad thing about your car, thank you very much!

:P
~Perry
Please visit
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

ok cool thanks everybody for all your posts and thanks pat
ill do some more research before i decided if i wanna spend 200 more on the corksport ecu
and ill make sure i post whichever one i get and the results
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”