Axle Question...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
fry_81

Axle Question...

Post by fry_81 »

Well i bought new axles for my car but they only sold me the cv part of the axle( up till the bearing that mounts to the motor) so i figured alright ill just order the other half... well they dont sell it with the bearing, only the half shaft they said just reuse the old bearing.... but i also heard from a mechanic that the only way to remove it, is to heat up the bearing which will destroy it... i really dont feel like buying the halfshaft that comes with the bearing from mazda($360!!!!)
thanks,
Fry
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Supposedly someone with a two-part press can press out the old bearing and get a new one in there. The bearing number is only like a $5-$10 part, redily available. My problem was finding a shop to do the work. I went all over Vegas and couldn't find a shop that'd do it. Haven't tried calling around Chicago, yet, though. If someone seriously knows a place that'll do it, I think he//she could make some money outsourcing this service for us.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I think the axle just pulls right out of the carrier bearing, and the actual bearing stays in the bracket.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

that is correct.
ssmog

Post by ssmog »

I recently replaced the bearing int he "joint shaft" that bolts tot he block on my GS, i did it right in my driveway, the new shaft with bearing costs 380.. Cdn from the dealer so I bought the new bearing and dust cover kit from them for a mere 57.00 Cdn. You don't need a press, simply use a hammer, vicem two blocks of wood and a bearing/ seal separator/ iinstall tool which can be picked up at any auto. parts store for 50.00. took me a whole 2 hours to do.
Commit yourself to a Psychiatric hospital before the rest your sanity disappears, and you are strapped in a chair, fed mushy peas with a rubber spoon with only your tortured fantasies for comfort....

ssmog

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”