Suddenly not starting

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cooper_9

Suddenly not starting

Post by cooper_9 »

I'll begin with my car was broken into and driven around, but was found later on. I guess they realized why its my winter car. So my ignition was messed and i've been using pliers to start the car. This was alright until this weekend when I had time to attempt to fix everything. This happened tuesday. So yesterday driving home from work my stereo occasionally turns off and turns back on, thought it was a loose connection with the stereo. I go to start my car today and nothing. There is a charge in the battery because I have lights and what not, but no turn over. There is a strange sound that comes up thats almost like a rhaspy clicking. I'm thinkin alternator just died but i'm not sure. if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Jay Cooper
92 Blue GS
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Just cause your lights come on doesn't mean you have enough power to start the car. Your starter takes an insane amount of power to start the car, and while you have enough power to run the accessories you may not have enough to start the car.

When does it make the raspy sound you describe? If you turn the key to the start position and it makes the sound, you probably need a new starter. Try "tappin" the key to the start position like 5 times to see if it turns over (go from the run position to the start position with your key rapidly... not holding it in start like you normally would... just tap it.) If that doesn't help, pull the starter and have it bench tested at your favorite automotive store. Just a place to start. I don't think it would be your alternator unless you get it running and it makes the sound then.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”