Any experience with used air bags?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
94dad

Any experience with used air bags?

Post by 94dad »

My daughgter was in a front-end collision in her MX-3 (1994) and both air bags deployed as a result. I'd like to replace the air bags and put the car back on the road but the expense of replacing the bags is so much that I'm not sure that it's worth it.

Does anyone have any experience with buying used air bags? If so, what sources would you recommend? I've seen bags for sale on eBay, for example, but I don't think I'd trust those as far as I can throw the MX-3. I know that I could call a local salvage yard but I'm hoping that that is not my best option. Anyone have any better ideas?

Further, while I've removed the old air bags and feel confident about installing the replacements, I'm not quite sure if anything would have to be done to the sensing device located at the front bumper. What does anyone know about this?

Thanks.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Don't know about that sensing device. Too lazy to read that section of my manual right now. Replacement airbags from a wrecker will run ya anywhere from $200 - $1000+ USD for a set. Best bet is to go to http://www.car-part.com and enter your vehicle info to see a listing. Most listings will even include the interior color. Ya don't show a location so if you are in Canada, you can select the search for just Canadian wrecker yards or same for U.S. yards.

btw, I have a 94 Electrical Body Troubleshooting Mazda Factory Manual Supplement book. If you'd like me to make a copy of the Airbag section and either fax it, or snail-mail it to ya, I'd be glad to (no cost). I have a fax machine and access to free copying so no prob there. The airbag section is 34 pages tho, so if interested, you might be better off having it mailed to ya while you source those replacement airbags. That way the resolution would also be clear for the wiring diags. I'd usually scan the pages and email em but my HP scanner is giving me fits right now... and also last week... last month... arghhhhh. :wink:

Post back here if interested and PM me w/your mailing address or fax # if you want to go that route. Your call. Your daughter has a good Dad btw. (I have a few daughters too :? :D )
Image -Jim
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I have both airbags. Lemme know if you need em! I can guarantee they are in working condition.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
rpgaines

Post by rpgaines »

I handle airbag replacement at work all the time.... on Mazda, the crash sensor near the bumper is a reuseable part. If it's not externally damaged, it should continue to work properly. Since it's illegal (in the US) to ins. companies to put used airbags into a customer's car, a salvage yard would probably be the best call. Make sure you inspect all the wiring connections before you buy. Ifa any are broken of frayed, it's garbage! Also, ALWAYS disconnect the battery before unbolting the bag. I've seen them go off on one of my techs that forgot... talk about scared! LOL
RPG
Peace through superior firepower
94dad

Post by 94dad »

neutral wrote:Don't know about that sensing device. Too lazy to read that section of my manual right now. Replacement airbags from a wrecker will run ya anywhere from $200 - $1000+ USD for a set. Best bet is to go to http://www.car-part.com and enter your vehicle info to see a listing. Most listings will even include the interior color. Ya don't show a location so if you are in Canada, you can select the search for just Canadian wrecker yards or same for U.S. yards.

btw, I have a 94 Electrical Body Troubleshooting Mazda Factory Manual Supplement book. If you'd like me to make a copy of the Airbag section and either fax it, or snail-mail it to ya, I'd be glad to (no cost). I have a fax machine and access to free copying so no prob there. The airbag section is 34 pages tho, so if interested, you might be better off having it mailed to ya while you source those replacement airbags. That way the resolution would also be clear for the wiring diags. I'd usually scan the pages and email em but my HP scanner is giving me fits right now... and also last week... last month... arghhhhh. :wink:

Post back here if interested and PM me w/your mailing address or fax # if you want to go that route. Your call. Your daughter has a good Dad btw. (I have a few daughters too :? :D )
Thanks for the offer. I may get back to you on this if I decide to do the installation myself.
94dad

Post by 94dad »

rpgaines wrote:I handle airbag replacement at work all the time.... on Mazda, the crash sensor near the bumper is a reuseable part. If it's not externally damaged, it should continue to work properly. Since it's illegal (in the US) to ins. companies to put used airbags into a customer's car, a salvage yard would probably be the best call. Make sure you inspect all the wiring connections before you buy. Ifa any are broken of frayed, it's garbage! Also, ALWAYS disconnect the battery before unbolting the bag. I've seen them go off on one of my techs that forgot... talk about scared! LOL
Thanks for the info and the advice. I'd read about people being startled (I gues that's an understatement) when a bag went off in their hands simply because they forgot to disconnect the battery.

I'm in the US (Chicago area) so I guess I will have to check into what the salvage yards have to offer.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

as far as I was trained on air bar replacement... first you replace sensors, seat belts usually get replaced too, make sure your clock spring isnt fried cause it usually is and you have to get air bag with new one.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
94dad

Post by 94dad »

mitmaks wrote:as far as I was trained on air bar replacement... first you replace sensors, seat belts usually get replaced too, make sure your clock spring isnt fried cause it usually is and you have to get air bag with new one.
Thanks for the heads-up on the clock spring. How do you test the clock spring on the car? Can it be done with a volt meter, for example, or would a visual inspection tell you if you know what to look for?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

usually airbags come with new clock spring cause old one get fried 99.9% of time too much heat when air bag explodes. its plastic so it melts, can visually inspect it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
rpgaines

Post by rpgaines »

The only reason you would replace the seatbelts on our cars would be if they are completely locked up. Newer cars have pretensioners built into the seat belts that snug up the belt in a crash. However our cars are not equipped with that item. The clock spring will most likely need to be replaced, though.. kinda forgot about that. If you buy them used, they should include it. If you buy new, you'll need to tell the dealership... it's usually listed separately.
RPG
Peace through superior firepower

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”