PCV valve question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
turbulence23

PCV valve question

Post by turbulence23 »

hello.

got a question about this part.

if i am right about naming this thing, its that 90 degree shaped piece on top of the front cilinderrow.

what happens when this thing isnt working correct anymore?

i see people putting inline filters after this thing to prevent oil coming into your intakemanifold.

so what if this thing is busted, does it harm yoor car, doesnt it run a smootly, does it start to smoke badly etc..

or is it not a big of a deal when its broken?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

When mine was going, my idle was jumping from 500 to 1500 rpms whenever i hit the brake in neutral.

If i remember right, the way to test it is to pull it out of the valve cover while the engine is running, if the car stalls, it's bad.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: pull it out of the valve cover while the engine is running, if the car stalls, it's bad.
Or take it out and shake, if you hear the little ball banging around in there it is good, if you dont hear anything it is clogged.
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

Spinkx79 wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote: pull it out of the valve cover while the engine is running, if the car stalls, it's bad.
Or take it out and shake, if you hear the little ball banging around in there it is good, if you dont hear anything it is clogged.
thanx... it rattles, so guess it works then...

damn, another theory gone...

prob is, my mx is smoking kinda bad...

couldnt be the headgasket i think. oil and coolant is normal, it isnt really using lot of oil, and the coolant is at the same level all the time...

anybody got an idea?

i replaced my catalytic converter with a straight pipe...

and now its smoking like crazy...

the fumes are really smelly, cant really determin what smell it is...

forgive me if my spelling isnt that good, live in holland... :D
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Very common once these engines get a few miles on them to burn oil. Valve stem seal or rings is likely the culprit. The car can run like that forever though as long as you keep the engine oil topped off. It will cost more the the car is worth to rebuild the engine, but its a good opportunity to swap in a 2.5
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

duh you named the reason. put your cat back on, straight pipe isnt for amateurs :) :lol:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mitmaks wrote:duh you named the reason. put your cat back on, straight pipe isnt for amateurs :) :lol:
HAHA, no kidding...i had one in spring, it was LOUD, smelly and I was puffing blue smoke pretty good too...the catalytic converter burns up unburnt fuel in the exaust from the engine, so with no cat, you have no device to clean up the rest, so you get what's left over coming straight out the the tail pipe
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

mxmaz wrote:Very common once these engines get a few miles on them to burn oil. Valve stem seal or rings is likely the culprit. The car can run like that forever though as long as you keep the engine oil topped off. It will cost more the the car is worth to rebuild the engine, but its a good opportunity to swap in a 2.5
wel funny thing is, the valve seals have just been replaced about 5.000 km back.

so unless they dont go much longer then 5000km, it must be something else...

i am planning to swap to klze in a 1/2 months, but this is really anoying me..

@ mitmaks:

see a lot of guys around here with a catalitic replacer, so why shouldnt it work with me :?
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

get an oil catch can.. it works pretty neat..my valves where pretty clean (on the k8) after only 2 weeks of using the catch can. I did catch some oil there.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”