V6 1.8L question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx32nerDOTcom

V6 1.8L question

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

When im going over bumps, i hear a noise that soundsl ike something is loose...but i checked everything, it almost sounds like...a cv joint, but its not, they're both brand new, im talkin less than 200 miles on em, could it be the top of the strut, or just bad struts maybe, they were brand new about a year ago, but they were from an rs too...any help is awesome, thanks guys..
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 Spd <i>*In Progress*</i> 2.5L V6 SWAP IN PROGRESS NOW
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS/SE 5 Spd <i>*Project 2.5T*</i>
Big D

Post by Big D »

check your stabilizer links, they could be coming unseated over bumps... I had a bad one and it sounded like a thump from the front right (almost like a loose engine mount) when i went over bumps...try that
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Either stabalizer links or a poor strut, both will clunk over bumps when they are bad.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx32nerDOTcom

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

and where exactly can these be found?
mx3ze

Post by mx3ze »

U R kidding right? :shock:
mx32nerDOTcom

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

I was serious, but I found it out today, and I really hope you weren't being ignorant about that because im not a mechanic, I went to school for computer programming, so until today, no I didnt now know where they were... Im learning how to do all of my car work myself...But thanks for your .02
mx32nerDOTcom

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

And thanks to PATDIESEL and BIGD...I appreciate the help guys
mx3ze

Post by mx3ze »

mx32nerDOTcom wrote:I was serious, but I found it out today, and I really hope you weren't being ignorant about that because im not a mechanic, I went to school for computer programming, so until today, no I didnt now know where they were... Im learning how to do all of my car work myself...But thanks for your .02
I’m sorry if I offended you. Yes I was sarcastic.
I’m IT Project Manager not mechanic either. I learned basics by reading books and spending hours on net. My point was: learn to walk before you plan to win 100m sprint! What would be your reaction if someone questions you about .NET programming and after that say: hey how do you turn this thing on (PC)?

Nothing personal.
mx32nerDOTcom

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

Ok, no hard feelings, I see where your coming from when you relate it to computers...lol...thanks for the info anyway!
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

my car was sounding like hell before this morning

open the hood and check the strut mounts, they are rubber and they connect to your mx body with four bolts, pretty easy to find, in the center of the mount is the nut that keeps the strut attached to the mount, these wear/dryout and crack after time, inspect for any cracking on the rubber, if you can't tell by looking at it, jack up the car as if you were changing the tire and see if the strut mount willl hold your wheel up, i just got back from meineke to get one of these swapped out (picked one up at the junkyard for ten bucks, pulled it myself), it's not in the best condition, however, it will work until i replace the struts and mounts in about a month, besides the meineke guys didnt charge me to swap it, oh one other thing they told me that can relate to your problem (you claimed to have fairly new struts), don't get new struts without replacing the rubber strut mounts, the new struts with cause the old rubber to fail very quickly.

now i'm shopping for struts and mounts, any fingers to point me in the right direction for quality struts that aren't too pricey.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”