strange idle problem dohc rs

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
vtmx3

strange idle problem dohc rs

Post by vtmx3 »

I just finished a head gasket job on my car. New water pump,plugs,wires,fuel filter,air filter,valve cover gasket,upper lower radiator hoses,radiator cap, thermostat,new belts, timing belt,ect....

I flushed the radiator, and replaced, and torqued all parts,nuts,bolts to spec. The car is doing great, not leaking or anything. My problem is that when I start the car it does its normal high idle for a sec and then smoths out. After the engine is worm and I've been driving for a wile and come to a red light or stop light the car begins to idle up and then down to around stalling speed. I would say that it goes to about 1,700 rpm and drops to around 400 300 maybe and then smoth out wile i sit at the light.

Any idea what is cousing this? The only thing I can think of is the timing might be off on the distrubitor. I dont know please help. thank you.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Did you Remember to reinstall all of your grounds?
Might be timing, what is it set at do you know?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
PhAzEXXi

Post by PhAzEXXi »

heheheh i had this problem also. went to the tyler mazda dealership and the mazda guy told me that it was probably the throttle position sensor or idle position sensor or some kind of position sensor($500+) that got me to thinking that mabye the idle was set in the wrong position. i turned teh idle down a bit and i havent had the problem since. also make sure your runnin good premium fuel in you mx-3. ive found that it runs best on high octane. this might solve your problem but its worth a try.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”