which valve cover gasket?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
D44Boy

which valve cover gasket?

Post by D44Boy »

Sup guys
I am about to buy a valve cover gasket. There are two available for my car. I have a 1993 mx3 L4 1.6L. THe valve cover says DOHC and the 4 spark plugs are right in the middle of the valve cover. The 2 options for gaskets are for a sohc and a dohc. The dohc one is twice the price. I figure that I have to get that one, which is Fel-Pro VS50094R. Heres the pic http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 07&ptset=A
It has the whole outline of where the spark plugs go down into the head. The other gasket, is only the outline of the valve cover itself. It is Fel-Pro VS50359R. Here it is http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 07&ptset=A

My question is do I have to get the expensive one? I think I do but I would like a real second opinion. Also, if I do get the DOHC one, where do I put the gasket seal on it? THanks guys!!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Based on your description you'll need the more expensive one for the DOHC 4 cyl. Go to the online manual from the main page http://www.mx-3.com/index.cfm (Online Manual Link is 1/2 way down left side) and pages B1-86 & B1-87 will show where to apply sealant, correct bolt tightening sequence, and torque specs. That should be everything you'll need to know.

Only apply a thin enough bead of sealant to compress into the fit between the head and valve cover surfaces as the cover gets tightened. Doesn't take a lot, especially since you are installing a rubber gasket. Definitely respect those torque specs or you'll strip/break a bolt at worst or end up with a leaking valve cover gasket at best.
Image -Jim
Shades

Post by Shades »

You have a 1993... you have the SOHC engine.

As like neutral said, check the online manual for installation.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Shades wrote:You have a 1993... you have the SOHC engine...
Wondered about that stated model yr too but he's definitely describing the DOHC from looking at his engine. Might be a '94 model year with a late '93 manufacture date or maybe the engine was replaced with a DOHC?
Image -Jim
freyguy_412

Re: which valve cover gasket?

Post by freyguy_412 »

D44Boy wrote:Sup guys
I am about to buy a valve cover gasket. There are two available for my car. I have a 1993 mx3 L4 1.6L. THe valve cover says DOHC and the 4 spark plugs are right in the middle of the valve cover.

He says his valve cover says DOHC right on it. This means either the late model year or a motor swap.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
D44Boy

Post by D44Boy »

I really doubt it's a swap. My cover says right in the middle DOHC. Why, did all 93's come as SOHC? At checkers I told the guy my info and he said there were two gaskets. One for DOHC and another, not specified. So am I right to go get the DOHC?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

D44Boy wrote:I really doubt it's a swap. My cover says right in the middle DOHC. Why, did all 93's come as SOHC? At checkers I told the guy my info and he said there were two gaskets. One for DOHC and another, not specified. So am I right to go get the DOHC?
You have to watch cars made in the last months of the '93 model years (late 08 and 09/93) these cars have the DOHC and some have the old dash and some has the bug-eye airbag dash. I don't have the VIN for the change handy but can easily be checked with the dealer.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

D44Boy wrote:I really doubt it's a swap. My cover says right in the middle DOHC. Why, did all 93's come as SOHC? At checkers I told the guy my info and he said there were two gaskets. One for DOHC and another, not specified. So am I right to go get the DOHC?
I suspected the end-of-93 manu vs 94 spec dif and Yoda nailed it. btw, Yoda probably knows 5-10x more about Mazdas than me so take it to the bank.
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”